turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Building Myself a 20

Started by davisd9, December 17, 2015, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Decided to take up hand loading this year and figured I may as well get a new gun to go with the hand loads. Was going to use my 11-87 but did not want to drill and tap it and my wife dove hunts with it so I did not want to have to break it down and redo each year.

Started looking around at guns. After doing some research I decided on a Mossberg 500 20 ga. I am a Mossberg fan as I really like the thumb safety and they are so simple to break down to clean. Parts and aftermarket items are easy to find. Also, I could pick one up for pretty cheap and fix it up how I wanted.

Picked her up on Tuesday for $255 out the door.

I was hoping I could find a traditional pistol grip to put on it. Have an ATI pistol grip on my 835 so I went ahead and tried it on the gun to see if she would fit or not.

Not a perfect fit but close enough and very secure. It lightened the gun and shortened the LOP a bit, which is helpful against the tree in hunting position.

There is about 1/32 - 1/16" on each side of the receiver but I am very satisfied with the results.

Ordered a new pistol grip stock for her today so it will be my first upgrade.

Got some other plans for it but that will be a little by a little. Will update the thread as I go. Would be nice to have her complete by the season but as long as she is in hunting condition I have plenty of time to tweak.

Best news is Sunday means I only have 3 more months of waiting!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

longislandloco

Good luck on your project.......looks good so far, happy shootin'.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

davisd9

Added my Pro-Diamond.

Still waiting on my black pistol grip to come in and found a fore end I want, got a WTB add here for one of anybody has a black synthetic fore end laying around.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

SS Calls

Nice gun Donald. Does the pistol grip make it hard to reach the tang safety?

davisd9

Quote from: SS Calls on January 01, 2016, 02:47:40 PM
Nice gun Donald. Does the pistol grip make it hard to reach the tang safety?

Not hard, but a trigger guard safety, front or back, would probably be smoother. I have not had any problems taking off the safety when I needed too though.

Sent from the Strut Zone

SS Calls

dirt road ninja

You going to add the tactical safety extension to it?

davisd9

Quote from: dirt road ninja on January 05, 2016, 10:40:20 AM
You going to add the tactical safety extension to it?

Yes, I will add the tactical safety but not sure if I will before the spring. Too good of an upgrade not to have.

Sent from the Strut Zone

longislandloco

Just a thought..........maybe switch to a Maverick 88 trigger group, has safety in the guard, should be a simple swap.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

davisd9

Not for me, I like the thumb safety. May work for those interested, but call mossberg

Sent from the Strut Zone

cody_m25

Really liking what this set up is going to look like. Been thinking about doing the same thing for my wife and the nieces and nephews that want to go turkey hunting. I may just have to still your idea.

davisd9

Quote from: cody_m25 on January 06, 2016, 09:11:55 AM
Really liking what this set up is going to look like. Been thinking about doing the same thing for my wife and the nieces and nephews that want to go turkey hunting. I may just have to still your idea.

Awesome bud! Be glad to share any information I have from research. It has been a fun little build so far!

Sent from the Strut Zone

chatterbox

Looks great, Donald!
I see many dead turkeys in the future for you and that 20 ga!

davisd9

Got three rolled to shoot. Shooting in a few.

Sent from the Strut Zone

davisd9

Factory full at 40 yards:

May fiddle a little but very happy!

Sent from the Strut Zone