turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Here's a couple lead patterns..

Started by snarer, March 28, 2011, 09:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snarer

Thought I'd share a couple of my lead patterns to see what y'all think of them.  The guns a rem 870 with a 28 inch barrel and a carlson .665 ported turkey choke.  The targets were shot at 35 yards. (Not 40 I know  :-X)  And the temps were around 45-50 degrees with calm winds.  I tested kent and remington nitro shells.  Not the most expensive but they'll work.  Also I just drew a 10 inch circle around my POA.  Most people seem to dislike kent which I'm sure there are better shells but they did the best for me.  Also I patterned some 3 inch 2 ounce #5 shot kent shells but they only patterned around 65 hits in a 10 inch circle..Is it just too much shot going through the choke reducing the numbers or what?

Kent 3 inch 1 3/4 ounce #5 shot.....105 in 10 inch circle and 281 total in 20 inch square

Rem Nitro 3 inch 1 7/8 ounce #5 shot.....84 in 10 inch cirlce and 237 total in 20 inch square

BigPeck215

try the Winch. grey box 3-1&7/8-6s, about $7 at Walmart.

+1

snapper1982

just got my new turkey gun yesterday. put it together today and went and fired a few to sight it in and then fired one pattern.... i have not deep cleaned or polished the barrel and i have a "cheap" choke tube...

gun- remington 870 supermag
barrel- 23 inch
choke- tru glo .665
load- federal fcw 2oz #5's

180 in a 10 inch at measured 30 yds
sorry in didnt think to keep the pattern to take pic.

i keep hearing everyone say you cant get fcw shells to shoot well. esp with a ported choke but i have never had a problem with them..

stinkpickle

Jbird22

Quote from: BigPeck215 on March 28, 2011, 11:04:43 PM
try the Winch. grey box 3-1&7/8-6s, about $7 at Walmart.

+1

+2...I sure wish they offered those in 3-1/2"

hunter177

Snapper1982, I agree with you regarding the FCW shells from Federal. I also hear so many guys bashing them but that's all I use now. Here's my gun/load info and pattern numbers at a lasered 40 yards:

Remington 870 12 ga., 26", black synthetic stock, single bead
Primos Jelly Head .665 ported choke
Federal Mag-Shok FC 3", 2 oz., #6 loads

7 pellets in vitals, 81 pellets in head/neck, 196 pellets in a 10" circle

TriStar Viper G2 12 ga.
26" barrel, black synthetic stock
TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 choke
Winchester DoubleX, 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot

jtg88

Quote from: hunter177 on March 31, 2011, 11:39:16 PM
Snapper1982, I agree with you regarding the FCW shells from Federal. I also hear so many guys bashing them but that's all I use now. Here's my gun/load info and pattern numbers at a lasered 40 yards:

Remington 870 12 ga., 26", black synthetic stock, single bead
Primos Jelly Head .665 ported choke
Federal Mag-Shok FC 3", 2 oz., #6 loads

7 pellets in vitals, 81 pellets in head/neck, 196 pellets in a 10" circle

I would really love to see some pictures of that pattern.  If its true hang on to that gun because those are the best numbers I've ever heard of with lead.

snapper1982

i will shoot some this upcoming week. we have had some cold weather (it is 37 right now) and i want it a little warmer.

BOFF

Well, part of the issue is you write you put the 10" circle around your POA. You need to put the 10" circle around the best looking area or POI. You'll pick up more shot in the 10" circle in the 2nd pic, probably close to 35-40 more shot.

God Bless,
David B.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I'd use the 1st combo pictured.  You might try a different choke, but I've also had better luck with 1.75 ounce lead shells, than I have with 2 ounce lead shells.

R AJ

Using Kent and Rem load is to me about like saying of the two rotten apples I tried, apple A tasted the best. If you are satisfied with those shells so be it; however,there are better lead loads available.There is more to the Kent problem than just too many shot;ie.buffering and wad for two.

A better cheaper shell is the Win 3-1 7/8-#6 , maybe you can find some #5s if that is your choice for sure. At least you are trying out patterns and trying to get feed back and I applaud you for that.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

The Kent Pattern is a good pattern.  At 40, it might not be but 80-85, but it looks great at 35.  It will hunt.