OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do you shoot other people's handloads?

Started by SP-10 Fan, September 10, 2015, 01:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP-10 Fan

My question to the board is will you shoot other people's handloads?

I absolutely refuse to; it's a safety issue with me.  I won't even shoot handloads from guys who eat, sleep and live to shoot and reload.  I worked at a Sheriff's Department in Texas for 17 years, and I was one of our range officers and firearms instructors.  Handloads were fouling the line up so much with fail to fires, failures to eject and misfires, it took twice as long to run qualifications as it should have.  The Sheriff decided to provide the ammo for each deputy who had to qualify.  Even then, some boneheads chose to shoot their own handloads...and they had problems.  One particular knot head shot 5 squib loads (yes 5) out of a Cot Delta Elite in 10mm.  He had 5 bullets stacked inside his barrel.  That's proof that God watches after children and fools.  After that incident handloads were banned from use during qualifications.

357MAGNOLE

Yeah big no no

I did a trade with someone, pistol for ar. He wanted me to toss in 200 rounds of reloads. I couldn't bring myself to risk it. I trust my own reloads, but I also learned with any failure to fire or cycle the firearm that a full safety check needs to be performed.

Even if the reloaded does their part failures are still moe likely to occur over factory ammo.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

I will not reload for others or shoot anybody's reloads. If you're a handloading/bullet casting junkie like myself and frequent sites that are about that, the non stop parade of blown up & ruined firearms you see will make you cringe. I don't trust people.