turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

S/S shotguns

Started by 1Longbow, September 06, 2015, 12:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Longbow

Anyone shooting S/S shotguns for turkey these days?

Spring Creek Calls

I don't but often thought it would be a great gun for turkeys, especially a double trigger model. Modified tube and
7-1/2's for up close work and an extended extra full tube and 6's in the other.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

longislandloco

No, never got used to a S/S in over fifty years of shotgunning, I stick with pumps, 870's,
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

R AJ

I have one in twenty gauge and it does have the double trigger. I much prefer a pump for turkey in 12 or 20 gauge even over a semi-auto, except in the case of the 3.5" shell where the semi -auto gets the nod.

Your rationale is good and I'd say go for it if it is to your liking.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: 1Longbow on September 06, 2015, 12:50:18 PM
Anyone shooting S/S shotguns for turkey these days?
I have a Fox SxS that I converted to a turkey gun many years ago before sport specific guns were widely available. I had the chambers lengthened to 3", the forcing cone lengthened, the barrels backbored, polished, cut to about 19" and threaded. I also had studs installed for a sling.

Mine has 2 triggers so I may select which barrel to shoot first. When I first hunted with it, I'd put a turkey choke in the right barrel and a more open one in the left. The idea being that no matter where a turkey appeared, I was prepared of it of course I needed a second shot, it was available.

I found I never needed the more open choke, since most of my shots were at about 25 yards, so I put 2 turkey chokes in the gun and it worked very well.

It's still the only gun that I can have on my lap and bring to my shoulder for a sure shot at a turkey at any reasonable range. It fits me that well and except for the noise, it's a great dove gun or for any wing shooting sport.

Over they years, I kind of lost interest in it and don't use it much any more. It is however a fun gun to shoot and maybe once every few years I'll take it out and shoot it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

R AJ

Clark,
With the shortened barrel and 3" chambers , how bad was the recoil ? Bad enough?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: RAJ on September 11, 2015, 09:13:31 AM
Clark,
With the shortened barrel and 3" chambers , how bad was the recoil ? Bad enough?

Robert, it's a very loud gun. As you probably recall, the old Fox SxS were "over built" and have a lot of steel and wood, so the are not light guns. It's not a bad kicker but no one wants to be around me when I shoot it due to the muzzle blast.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."