OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Let's See Your Favorite Short Boxes

Started by Spring Creek Calls, September 01, 2015, 09:35:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring Creek Calls

Here's my 3 favorites, all purchased in the last 6 months. First is Lonnie Mabry purpleheart and ambrosia maple, next is an Albert Paul pocket persimmon and maple and last is David Halloran walnut and eastern red cedar.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Spring Creek Calls

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

KentuckyHeadhunter

That's a tough one Mike and probably changes frequently.  I will show a couple of my favorites from this year.  Lonnie Mabry walnut over wormy chestnut.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

KentuckyHeadhunter

Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

TauntoHawk

Paduak over mineral poplar SS short box in a 40 checker design which is 1 of 3 like it I believe and a matching scratch box. Thing flat out performs
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

davisd9

Wendell Lancaster Jatoba/Holly, Purple Heart/poplar, and Bloodwood/sassafras.

Really excited about my SS checkered Maple/Spanish Cedar. Feel like she will be the last thing a few birds hear this coming spring.

Hope today pick up an SS Jatoba/poplar before the season to see how she does as well.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mgm1955

REBELYELL

SS Custom Calls maple over mineral stained poplar

Frank Kruer persimmon over black limba

Albert Paul all walnut

callmakerman

Some great calls in this post. :turkey2: Here's four boxes that I have used quite a bit in the last few years. The first three are made by me and the single sider is a call made by Ed Terefencko. Combo's from left to right are macassar ebony/ poplar hen box, chestnut/ macassar ebony midi turpin, cherry/ wormy butternut cost box and chestnut/ purple heart single sider. I'm never sure which one will go with me till I grab my vest in the morning and load one in it.

hunter22

Great looking calls Bill. I have one just like that cherry/wormy butternut you made me. I killed four gobblers with it one spring and put it up. I got it out after I saw your pic and I had forgotten how good that call sounds. She is coming out of retirement next spring.

callmakerman

So many toys and so little time to use them all. :TooFunny: I still try to carry and hunt calls that I've put up every year and will switch out often.

hunter22

Bill,

I have reached an age where I don't have a lot of time to try out new stuff. LOL I am picking out 5 long boxes and 5 short boxes and hunt the daylights out of them next spring. The rest may be up for sale. You would probably be surprised at which ones I plan to use. I had a couple gobblers lock up last spring at 75 yds when I was trying some new calls that I think I would have killed if I had been running some proven calls. One was the big Merriam mountain gobbler in Colorado that still haunts me. He was the most beautiful gobbler I have ever seen.

callmakerman

You better start selling now cause I know you have a few box calls at the old homestead. :z-guntootsmiley: I know what your saying though. I'm not into the collecting thing like I used to be though I still have a sweet spot for scratch boxes. Just can't get enough of the darn things.