OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Benelli Super Nova perferd shells?

Started by daleoutdoorguy, March 28, 2011, 11:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daleoutdoorguy

Hi All,
I have just purchased a shinny new Super Nova 3.5", 28" barrel, and currently I'm using the Jelly head .655 diameter choke tube. I did some patterning at with the Winchester Supreme Elite Xtended range 3.5" #5 shot with good success. I ended up with 16 hits in the kill zone useing the HS Strut real life size targets, which I know is good. But I consistently noticed that the best part of the pattern (used 4x4ft cadboard behind target) was 5" right and maybe 2" low so a set of Tru-glo sights will fix that up.

But I wanted to aks the other Super Nova owners what their finding have been?
I also tried the Remington 3" #5 Premier high Velocity turkey shells and only ended up with 6 hits in the HS Strut target, not real great but only a 3" shell as well. The Winchester Supreme 3" #5 turkey loads only produced 4 hits with the same set up as above. I want to try the Heavy 13 shells but I will have to order the shells as I can't find them locally.
:emoticon-cartoon-012:

ahfox16

I've got a Benelli that will put 100 plus hits on the Winchester Size 5 HV lead shell in a 10" circle.  I used the old Comp-n-choke .655 constriction.

mmusso

I'm shooting a .655 JH from my 26" Nova and have patterned a ton of ammo over the last 2 yrs. The best by far has been the HTL loads -H13 3.5 #7s as a clear winner, then 3.5" MagBlends, 3.5" #6s, 3" #5s, etc...). If you're looking at shooting lead, my gun shot the 3.5" Rem Nitro Turkey #6s better than all other lead loads I shot (Win Sup HV 5s in 2.75, 3, and 3.5", Rem Duplex 3" 4x6, and Rem Premier, and a few others - the duplex preforming the worst). It really just depends on what you're looking for - how many pellets in how tight of a pattern. Before I started playing with choke/load combos, I killed several birds with a stock full choke and Win Sup HV #5s, so there really isn't a NEED for all of this to kill a turkey, but you will more than likely be limiting your shot distances and options.
Hope this helps...

SKFOOTER

X2 on the Jellyhead .655 and Hevi #7 combo.

snapper1982

if you want to use #5's try getting a little more open choke. should give you better numbers

apollo11

I just used a Trulock .670 choke, and Fed FC Mag Shok, #5, 2 1/4 oz loads that did better than I could expect out to 60 yards.

Great combo on paper...we'll see the end of April.
Bad decisions make good stories.

SumToy

That gun will like a small choke 650 rang to put big numbers. Now if you want good kill pattern 675 rang.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

R AJ

Quote from: mmusso on March 28, 2011, 12:27:57 PM
I'm shooting a .655 JH from my 26" Nova and have patterned a ton of ammo over the last 2 yrs. The best by far has been the HTL loads -H13 3.5 #7s as a clear winner, then 3.5" MagBlends, 3.5" #6s, 3" #5s, etc...). If you're looking at shooting lead, my gun shot the 3.5" Rem Nitro Turkey #6s better than all other lead loads I shot (Win Sup HV 5s in 2.75, 3, and 3.5", Rem Duplex 3" 4x6, and Rem Premier, and a few others - the duplex preforming the worst). It really just depends on what you're looking for - how many pellets in how tight of a pattern. Before I started playing with choke/load combos, I killed several birds with a stock full choke and Win Sup HV #5s, so there really isn't a NEED for all of this to kill a turkey, but you will more than likely be limiting your shot distances and options.
Hope this helps...

The Rem Duplex 3# 4x6 just plain out likes a 665 constriction  in a Remington  I know.

shootumindaface

I patterned a buddies last year and he averaged in the 290s with the Hevi 2.25 7s and SSX 643 but that was last year :lol:

daleoutdoorguy

Sounds like the Heavi-13 is the way to go, but to my knowledge in Canada we have to stay 4,5, or 6 shot.

Do you think the #6 shot would be close to the preformance of the #7??

Or should I try the Magnum blend which is 5,6 and 7 combined?

Cheers

mmusso

You might want to check on this, but if you can't use #7s by law, you probably can't use the magblends since they contain 7s. #6s probably wont put up numbers as big as the 7s, but they should be a fine killing pattern. Whatever you decide on, I'd definitely test it out before hunting so you know for sure. 6s should do fine for you.

outdoorsurveys

I have the Supernova and a comp'n'choke and tried many many options (didn't exhaust everything) but I became extremely satisfied with the 3 1/2" Winchester Turkey Supreme High Velocity 6's and 5's (prefer 6's).  That shell out of my gun put all others to shame.
Regarding your sight...ever consider a scope option??  I have hunted with iron sites, glow sites, you name it and absoutley love a traditional Nikon crosshair.  I have 110% confidence that when I pull the trigger the bird is going down.  If you have ever missed an easy shot with an iron site, it will not only leave you dumbfounded as to how that could happen, its going to play on your confidence in shots to come.  Sort of like an expert batter finding himself in a mind game and going into a slump.  If you or others find yourself interested in outfitting your Supernova with a scope, you can see my step by step set-up at http://www.outdoorsurveys.com/The_Perfect_Turkey_Gun.html
Best of luck to you this Spring.  May you get a Gobbler early.

ericjames

I have the same set up as you only difference is mine is a 26" barrel my gun love the magblends if I can find some 7's I want to try them