OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

barrel resonance

Started by the Ward, March 28, 2011, 10:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

I was wondering what part barrel resonance could play in patterning of certain gun/ load/choke combos.I've heard of this in rifles affecting groups.Could the same thing be happening with our shotguns?Is this responsible for th phenominal patterns with 835s and back bored brownings?Larger diameter barrels are also stiffer leading to less vibration?Just some food for thougt!!....ward

BigPeck215

after turkey season i'm going to play around and put a simms barrel de resonator made for rifles on my 12 gauge and run some cheap lead loads thru it and see of there is a difference when using the barrel deresonator

i have had great success with them on my rifles and i am expecting somekind of improvement on my turkey guns

allaboutshooting

Quote from: the Ward on March 28, 2011, 10:04:10 AM
I was wondering what part barrel resonance could play in patterning of certain gun/ load/choke combos.I've heard of this in rifles affecting groups.Could the same thing be happening with our shotguns?Is this responsible for th phenominal patterns with 835s and back bored brownings?Larger diameter barrels are also stiffer leading to less vibration?Just some food for thougt!!....ward

I am convinced that resonance does effect shotgun barrels just as it does rifle barrels. Several years ago I proved that, at least to myself by using  Sims LimbSaver Barrel De-Resonators on several different barrels.

The short story is that I was able to move the POI by moving the De-Resonator on the barrel. For example, if the DR was 2" from the muzzle and I moved it to 2" from the end of the forearm (2 recommended positions) the POI might move 3"-4". I tried moving the DR to many different positions on the barrels, even installed 2 on some barrels, and each time I could move the POI.

As a matter of information, I used both sizes of the DR and was able to install them on both plain and ribbed shotgun barrels with liberal doses of WD-40 to both the barrels and the DRs.

Lastly, I believe that barrel resonance may be one reason that we see much better patterns in some barrels than others, even the same length and brand, etc. Concentricity of the bore is, I'm convinced, vital to optimum patterns. If there are "high" spots and "low" spots it must effect the shot charge. 

I know that some competitive trap, skeet and sporting clays shooters spend a good bit of money to have their barrels professionally honed to be certain that they have the same i.d. from breach to muzzle. I know a gunsmith that has a Vertical Hone that with very long stones that stays busy most of the time working on those high dollar guns.

A barrel with a "wavy" interior just can't be a good thing.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

SKFOOTER

But unless you use a scope or red dot, you can't see your sights.  Right???

the Ward

Awesome info!Thanks for your replys.I've often wondered about this after reading posts about chokes and patterning.Anothering interesting piece to the puzzle in the quest for the perfect pattern!...ward

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 28, 2011, 10:50:36 AM
But unless you use a scope or red dot, you can't see your sights.  Right???

That's correct.

Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."