turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pot call for beginner?

Started by Gen273, August 08, 2015, 11:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gen273

I am new to turkey hunting having started last year. I'm very much addicted and can't wait for season to start back up. Anyway, I have a decent box call and scratch box. I would like a pot call. I bought a primos glass at a big box store and just can't get it to sound very good. Should I go with a slate call instead of a glass? I don't see much mention of slate on here. Does glass take more expertise to run? I don't see many recommendations for slates. I want a Crystal Misstress but am afraid I won't be able to run it. Thanks for your help.

mossyhorn2

there are many good callmakers on here, but you might want to start by watching a youtube on how to use a friction call. Then get a crystal mistress and I think you will be very happy with your selection. Just don't forget Sneed, Yingling, Roberts, Schafer, Anderson, and many more.

Rick Howard

I would suggest trying a slate surface.  Slate is easier for most folks, not everyone.  I think in general slate is easier to learn because it is less slick than glass.  Either way, having both gives you options and I would not hesitate to purchase a slate surfaced call. 

I would highly suggest a Hot Hen from Mr. Sneed.  My calls are all packed away because we are in the middle of moving or I would have his telephone number for you.  However, I am certain you can find Mr. Sneeds (Lonnie) contact info listed on the OG forum dozens of times :)

Gen273

Thanks for your replies, is the hot hen a slate? I would really like a slate and a glass.

Never mind , further research answered my own question.

Bowguy

There's lots of pots that're easy to run. Crystal mistress is one. Many callmakers have good ones., if you're getting one pot I'd recommend glass or Crystal. Slate is good but very bad in even humid weather.

Triple B

Quote from: Rick Howard on August 08, 2015, 12:54:07 PM
I would suggest trying a slate surface.  Slate is easier for most folks, not everyone.  I think in general slate is easier to learn because it is less slick than glass.  Either way, having both gives you options and I would not hesitate to purchase a slate surfaced call. 

I would highly suggest a Hot Hen from Mr. Sneed.  My calls are all packed away because we are in the middle of moving or I would have his telephone number for you.  However, I am certain you can find Mr. Sneeds (Lonnie) contact info listed on the OG forum dozens of times :)
Rick gave you some good info.Slates can be easier to run,and are more forgiving.Glass calls are more weather resistant.If you are jumping in with both feet,one of each would fill the bill for starters.Once you learn the ins and out of both,you will be in good shape.Just invest in a good quality ones.There is a big difference than what the custom guys build,and your run of the mill $20 store bought ones.

RiverClark1991

There are a lot of nice calls out there and hollaran makes one of the best if your wanting a few different surfaces I would call darrin dawkins and try his aluminum or crystal plastic pots he keeps them on hand for 50 a piece and there top of the line, if you want a little cheaper price with same quality Lonnie sneed is a legend with the hot hen slate or outlaw hen green glass give either a call and they will take care of you I think for me the crystal was a little easier but youtube and real hens will have you ready in no time everyone's different but I'm partial to certain aluminum calls

Gen273

Thank you all for your replies, very helpful. I live in Mississippi, a very humid state so might have to rethink slate. I will be ordering from someone really soon so I can start playing with them early!

ncturkey

That Primos glass caller needs a lot of surface preparation. I have Primos Power Crystal Pot Caller. I had to rough up the surface first a sand stone and then the diamond sanding pad. I finished it off with a scotch bride pad. I used Primos Slick Stick to do all this conditioning. Your glass probably just needs some roughing up.

But if your in the market for a good glad and slate caller I would try one from one of these guys. Joe Slaton of Mother Lode a Turkey Calls make some good callers. Al and Josh Shoemaker of SS Custom Calls are good. Daryl Slaton of Slaton Custom Calls make some good callers too.

mgm1955

Lonnie Sneed. You can get a great glass and slate for what you'll pay for many other calls. Once you feel good about using them you can get calls from some of the makers mentioned with confidence in your abilities. Good luck!

Jbird22

From a surface conditioning standpoint, slate is the most user friendly. Gen273, slate isn't always friendly in MS (I'm from south MS) but you'll know as soon as you walk out the door whether it'll work or not.

IMO, it's not that any of them are that hard to run, but some surfaces are definitely harder to condition than others. Crystal and Glass have to be roughed up pretty good before they'll run right. After you initially condition them they're generally easy to maintain and run though. Anodized Aluminum is generally easy to condition (sometimes none required). I like Copper but there's a combination when it comes to conditioning them. Ceramic is typically easy to condition also. As for the running the different surfaces, keep your striker motion the same. However, you'll want to try different striker pressure (grip pressure and surface pressure) as well as different types (woods) of strikers. Btw, pot calls and strikers can become a bit of an addiction if you're not careful.  ;D

davisd9

Agreed with those that recommended Mr. Sneed's Hot Hen slate.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

outdoors

From a surface conditioning standpoint, slate is the most user friendly. Gen273, slate isn't always friendly in MS (I'm from south MS) but you'll know as soon as you walk out the door whether it'll work or not.

I HUNT IN FLA. AND JBIRD IS 100% WITHOUT A QUESTION RIGHT
I FEEL ALOT MORE CONFIDENT USING A SLATE CALL BUT THERES TIMES WHEN I JUST CANT USE IT UNLESS I CARRY A LIGHTER WITH ME 
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Buzzkiller

Call Mr.Lonnie Seed order a hot hen and outlaw hen
also get a conditioning stone for the outlaw hen

You will love both calls