OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 870 or 1187

Started by ILHUNTER, July 28, 2015, 12:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILHUNTER

Looking for a used 870 or 1187 for my son.  Needs to be 20ga. and compact.  I know the 1187 cost more, is it really worth the extra money.   Also how is the recoil on them.  I'm assuming the 1187 is a lot less since its automatic.   Opinions needed, thanks

Greg Massey

For what you will have pay for a used one...I would just buy a new one.  You can order one or do like I did and buy one from academy sports. I got mine with the 21 in. Barrel...For a kid starting out I don't think he or she needs a auto gun...the 870 ... 20 ga. does not kick that much anyway...

ILHUNTER

Thanks for the reply, I am with you on the pump, that is the way I learned with a shotgun and I think everyone should.  The only reason I was considering the auto was because of recoil.  I know the youth model Mossberg 500 kicks less then the non youth model 500 and he has shot it without any problems but he likes the feel of the 870 better.  I found a used one that looks to be in really good shape for $250 with the 21" barrel and am considering it.

Greg Massey

If I were you and the gun is in good shape that's a good price on a 20 ga. With 21 in barrel. They are hard to fine used. The problem with kick on the youth 20 is more so in the 18 in barrel you don't want that. After you add a extended turkey tube to the 21 in. barrel you will gain about a inch or more from the tube. It will kick a lot lest and the gun will patten a lot better with the 21 inch barrel than the 18 inch barrel. So my advice to you is buy the gun if it looks as good as you say it does...

ILHUNTER

I took your advice and looked at Academy sports and did see that there new price was $290, which is a good price.  Im with you on the longer barrel, longer barrel almost always seem to have less recoil.  I might stop again tonite to see if I can work a deal with the gun dealer on the used one, seems to function great and the finish looks practically new even though prob won't matter since I'm sure my boy will want it me to camo it like mine (lol).  Thanks for the advice.