turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

trumpet ??

Started by Spitten and drummen, July 24, 2015, 05:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

I got a billy Buice Osage trumpet and after a lot of practice , I am running it very well. I want to order another but wanted to ask about wood types first. Does the wood type really affect tone or is it more for eye candy. Also a suggestion to complement the osage. Looking for a different pitch. Love this osage but would a different wood type produce a different sound?
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

outdoors

YES THERE IS A DIFFERENCE I GOT A GRAPEFRUIT CALL FROM BILLY AND THE TONE I LIKE AND BROUGHT IN A COUPLE OF GOBBLERS    :icon_thumright:   :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

ol bob

The mouth piece makes more difference than the wood.

Old Timer53

Give Billy a call. He certainly can answer any questions you might have.

Just my two cents !!

davisd9

Quote from: Old Timer53 on July 25, 2015, 10:15:01 AM
Give Billy a call. He certainly can answer any questions you might have.

Just my two cents !!

Best advice on the whole thread.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ol bob

If you just want to kill turkeys you only need 1 of Billys calls If you collect calls you want all that you can afford.

Spitten and drummen

I actually have a big collection of calls , all of which will kill birds. The truth is you can call birds with some horrible sounding calls. I understand that being a turkey hunter. That being said , I like calls that each have their own distinguished sound. If I get another trumpet , I want a different sound to it. What I want to know , excluding the mouth piece , does the wood type make a variation in sound?
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

ol bob

If you know someone that makes calls have him make one out of pine and one out of the hardest wood that he has make both the same use the same mouth piece in both barrels have someone play them where you can't see them, I don't think you will be able to tell the difference. I have done this many times in my shop if the calls are made the same with the same mouth piece and the same person playing them most can't tell the difference.

savduck

Wood does affect the sound, its a subtle change but it does affect them somewhat. As someone mentioned before the beauty of Billy's calls is the changeable mouth pieces. It would be a lot cheaper to get a different mouth piece than a whole new trumpet.

I find Billy osage to be a little higher pitch. Id recommend a black and white ebony or desert iron wood.
Georgia Boy

KPcalls

Since I've never built a call out of a real soft wood.  I can't speak of what it would sound like. What I do know, is that I've built many calls from the finest woods from all the world and I'VE never found a difference in sound in my calls. If a call maker uses the exact dimensions inside and out on his calls there should be no difference in sound with different hard woods.  I would be more inclinded to believe that mouth piece material would have more of a slight effect on sound due to the way some materials used for mouth pieces are after they are bored. Mr. Buice has a large variation in call options, from several different lengths....too several different mouth piece internal dimensions...too screw in are push in mouth pieces. I'm sure with all these variations different sounds will be achieved. But, to answer your question about wood. In my honest opinion at least in my calls...NO...wood does not.

Crawdad

Quote from: KPcalls on August 02, 2015, 08:32:35 PM
Since I've never built a call out of a real soft wood.  I can't speak of what it would sound like. What I do know, is that I've built many calls from the finest woods from all the world and I'VE never found a difference in sound in my calls. If a call maker uses the exact dimensions inside and out on his calls there should be no difference in sound with different hard woods.  I would be more inclinded to believe that mouth piece material would have more of a slight effect on sound due to the way some materials used for mouth pieces are after they are bored. Mr. Buice has a large variation in call options, from several different lengths....too several different mouth piece internal dimensions...too screw in are push in mouth pieces. I'm sure with all these variations different sounds will be achieved. But, to answer your question about wood. In my honest opinion at least in my calls...NO...wood does not.
Amen to that x 2 and all that stuff. I don't use any soft wood at all in my Trumpets, only the hardest & the best instrument imported wood I can find & like K.P said, if I keep all the internals the same, I can not for the life of me tell any difference. Although I have some customers who seem to have a fine ear for such things that tell me they can.