News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Getting a new hen decoy... what pose??

Started by turkeytromp, March 27, 2011, 09:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeytromp

I need some opinions on this guys.....
I'm going to upgrade my hen decoy this season and by the looks of it I think I will go with a new DSD hen after reading all the hype about them, However,

What pose should I get? I hunt in mostly hilly timber woods here in southern ohio and maybe a field edge or two sometimes. I have had good luck with my primos She mobile but she is getting rough looking from all the briars and transporting wounds.

neal

I have both the feeder and the upright if I had to pick just one I'd say probally the feeder shes more relaxed looking.

You can't go wrong with either.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Duke0002

One consideration is how high the vegetation will be where you plan to use it.  If birds can't see a feeding hen decoy, it's not a lot of use.  If vegetation height is no problem, I'd go with the feeding decoy.  

I have some foam decoys that I tilt down so they don't look super alert.  

1iagobblergetter

If I was only going to by one it would be the relaxed or feeding position.

sugarray

I would say feeder too.  She is more relaxed.  Vegetation height is important, that old gobbler needs to be able to see her.

TauntoHawk

I wood go with the more visible standing hen in timber
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

guesswho

I'm not much on decoys but I'd go with the reverse cowgirl. aka relaxed.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

mnangler

In the woods a standing hen is more visible in the open or fields a feeding  hen looks more natural.

turkeytromp

Ok, think I will go with the dsd standing hen this year and then next season get the feeding hen and jake.Aready spent to much this year on turkey stuff as I have turkey OCD!

Thanks for the input everyone its appreciated! :thanks:

bbcoach

I've used Feeders and Uprights and I prefer the Feeders.  My Feeders have heads that move and that is what seems to draw the Longbeards in if you aren't using a Strutter with a Submissive Hen.  IMO, it seems that they prefer a Hen that has some movement to it.