OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What am I missing?

Started by TauntoHawk, June 17, 2015, 08:27:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

Earlier this year before season I got to reading about how under rated scratch boxes were and having never held one I thought maybe I was missing out so I picked up one from SS a few days before my season. Well as it went I fell in love with that style of call and now have 4 of those sweet little calls and used them to call in 6 birds this past spring.

Now I'm wondering if I'm missing out on never giving trupmets a try? So what does a trumpet bring that i'm not getting from other calls? Any decent places to get a start on picking up a good one that wont break the bank and trying my hand at them?

Thanks guys
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ol bob

A trumpet or wing bone has a sound unlike any other call it sounds the same but its not if you record all calls and play the sound on an oscilloscope it will be as close to a real turkey sound as you can get. They are not easy to learn to play but it you do its the only call you need.

davisd9

If you are going to try to learn a trumpet then I highly suggest spending the money on a good one.  They are easier to play and if it is not for you the resale value can be what you paid for it.

I would suggest MKW (would have to find a used one), Billy Buice,  Matt Mclain, or contact Del Crow (savduck) for a Natural Addiction.  Stick to a hard wood as they are the best for tonal purposes.  A good trumpet is made from a good wood, Osage, Cocobola, African or Malaysian Blackwood, Olivewood, and Black Mangrove to name a few.  If you are buying a new one then ask the call maker what they recommend and why.  Mr. Buice told me he hunted with an Osage and that was good enough for me.

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Vaughnrp2

Alot of great call marker on OG. You can find a good trumpet for under $100-125 bucks. To name a few call makers in that price range try Pappy, Crawdad and Brian Mero all three are on OG.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Trumpets have a tremendous dynamic range and played loudly the sound carries a great distance. I agree, it is very noticeable how easily the better trumpets play. A Buice with multiple mouthpieces (different throat diameters and different fundamental pitch) is a great, but not inexpensive, place to start and you may never need another, and as davisd9 said, you can easily resell it if you decide trumpets aren't for you. If you decide you like trumpets, one won't be enough. If you look at trumpets on a spectrogram, like ol bob suggests, you'll see they look very different than other calls.  The better trumpets have a very rich spectrum and extended harmonics.  There is also a very personal aspect to trumpets.  Things like throat diameter, external diameter of the mouthpiece, and square or tapered tip matter.  Some popular trumpets just don't work as well for me, but might be just the ticket for someone else.  I think the learning curve is significantly longer with trumpets, than say pot calls or box calls. For me it was/is anyway.  But the payoff has been well worth the time invested.

USMC0331

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on June 17, 2015, 04:25:49 PM
Trumpets have a tremendous dynamic range and played loudly the sound carries a great distance. I agree, it is very noticeable how easily the better trumpets play. A Buice with multiple mouthpieces (different throat diameters and different fundamental pitch) is a great, but not inexpensive, place to start and you may never need another, and as davisd9 said, you can easily resell it if you decide trumpets aren't for you. If you decide you like trumpets, one won't be enough. If you look at trumpets on a spectrogram, like ol bob suggests, you'll see they look very different than other calls.  The better trumpets have a very rich spectrum and extended harmonics.  There is also a very personal aspect to trumpets.  Things like throat diameter, external diameter of the mouthpiece, and square or tapered tip matter.  Some popular trumpets just don't work as well for me, but might be just the ticket for someone else.  I think the learning curve is significantly longer with trumpets, than say pot calls or box calls. For me it was/is anyway.  But the payoff has been well worth the time invested.
x2!

Trumpetyelper

I personally cannot recommend purchasing a trumpet yelper.  They sound too good and cost too much money.  Most people who purchase them and become proficient become quickly addicted, and the reaction is similar to being hooked on heroine.  My recommendation would be to leave it alone and stick with scratchers... :TooFunny:

Onpoint

Quote from: Trumpetyelper on June 17, 2015, 10:39:25 PM
I personally cannot recommend purchasing a trumpet yelper.  They sound too good and cost too much money.  Most people who purchase them and become proficient become quickly addicted, and the reaction is similar to being hooked on heroine.  My recommendation would be to leave it alone and stick with scratchers... :TooFunny:
Lmao

ccleroy

I would recommend getting a Buice.

mgm1955

Quote from: Trumpetyelper on June 17, 2015, 10:39:25 PM
Too funny because it's so true. A good trumpet is like having a fine musical instrument. Good luck!!

TauntoHawk

You guys are always great at helping me spend money. Don't worry I have a very addictive personality so in sure this won't get out of hand.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jobugg12

If you're in a hurry, buy a BUICE, if you have a year or so, get a Cox. 

outdoors

I HAVE A FEW  HA. TRUMPETS AND THE BEST SOUNDING ONE THAT I LIKE IS MADE FROM GRAPEFRUIT AND IM TELLING THIS ONE IS OWESOME SOUNDING .......... I GOT THIS ONE AND OTHERS FROM BILLY ... I DO HAVE OTHERS FROM OTHER MAKERS THEY ALL SOUND GOOD   
:icon_thumright:  good luck on your choice .........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Jobugg12 on June 18, 2015, 05:31:40 PM
If you're in a hurry, buy a BUICE, if you have a year or so, get a Cox.
Even if they were both available tomorrow, I still think the Buice is a better place to start.  Just my opinion, of course.

boatpaddle

Do you have to have a trumpet or would a good sounding, quality built wingbone work for you ??

I bought wingbones, when I started running air operated calls for two reasons....To save $$$ & to see, if I was able to learn to operate this type of call...

Both wingbones & trumpets take some time to learn & understand how to use this type call...Some folks do well with the learning curve & others do not...

Just a thought of another avenue to get yourself started....

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome