turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

20ga lead shooters

Started by Rick Howard, June 16, 2015, 08:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Howard

Anyone shooting #6 lead in a 20ga?  Currently, I shoot the Remington Nirto turkey #5's but have been tinkering with tightening up the pattern a bit.  I am considering the Remington 3" Extended Range Nitro Mag Buffered #6". 

Shooting my current shell and choke my POA and POI are inline.  Everything else I have tried are off.  Patterns have not been much if better either.  I am going to try a non ported choke with the fed HW but before I go spending any more time and money, I figured I would see what folks had to say about the Rem Nitro Mag #6. 

To be clear I am not talking about the Rem express 2 3/4.  These are Rem 3" Extended Range Nitro Magnum Buffered #6.   

howl

Only lead load I ever had good luck with was Win Supreme #5s with the cheap TruGlo choke. 

Rick Howard

Thank you.  The win sup pattern was not better than the rem nitro for me.  Also the POA did not match up with the dense section of pattern.

Maybe I am searching for a unicorn. 

My thinking was that the Rem #6's will tighten up the pattern a little but keep the POI the same as the #5's. 

I don't want to add sights on the gun.  I use it to hunt more than turkey.     

surehuntsalot

I shoot the Federal #6's, both the old pre FCW shells and the thugs in my 870
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

nickp

Shot the federal 6's with the flight control wad through my ssx in my 870.  Was a killer for sure at 40.  I have been wanting to try the nitro mag 6's.  I had the 4's do well for the small amount of shot in the 2 3/4" version.  It is worth a try anyways.  If it doesn't shoot well then you have some good squirrel shot. 

jrmcclure

There is not a 20 gauge lead load out there that consistently produces 100 in the 10" at 40 that I have seen. Any one who has a 40 yard killer pattern please post the pic id like to see it. In my experience lead look great at 30-35 then just falls apart. 40+ is asking for trouble. Federal hw is worth every penny

R AJ

I have killed turkeys with 20 gauge lead in #4,#5 and #6 but no 40 yard stuff or claims. I prefer the Federal shell in #6. Rogers Sporting Goods did have both of the Federal shells in #6 and the non FCW shell was very reasonable.
I am very comfortable with 30 yards and in with the #6 lead shell of most any kind that patterns well , including the Kent diamond shot  shell---- IF it patterns well in your gun.

nickp

Honestly, I am not worried about 100 in the 10" every time.  It can be done all day long with 75+ if you have an even pattern.  As for me, if I can get 7+ hits in the vertebrate and brain of a turkey target, several shots, then I don't worry about it.  Granted as well that I know the penetration at the distance that I plan on shooting.  I didn't tell him that it would work in his gun, I said in my setup.  I shot one at 41 this past spring and rolled him.  Head and neck was ate up.  Keep in mind that the my numbers refer to neck/vertebrate, not head/neck.  No need to come on here trying to call someone out because they have a shotshell/gun/combo that did 5 yards better or worse than yours.  I spend a ton of time shooting because I just like shooting and I know exactly what my combos that I carry will do long before I think of shooting a bird.  But, I do agree with what he said.  Most combos with lead don't produce consistent 40 yard killers with the 20, but he will not know until he tries it.  Overall though, the federal HWT #7 is by far the clear winner in factory twenty gauge shells with the Hevi #7 right behind it for the most part. 

Mowoodsman

Kent Diamond Shot will not let you down.  In my neck of the woods in the off season, you can find Kent's for $4.99 a box clearance. But we all know the drill it boils down to the gun, choke and load you're using. 
Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: nickp on July 13, 2015, 05:36:21 PM
Honestly, I am not worried about 100 in the 10" every time.  It can be done all day long with 75+ if you have an even pattern.  As for me, if I can get 7+ hits in the vertebrate and brain of a turkey target, several shots, then I don't worry about it.  Granted as well that I know the penetration at the distance that I plan on shooting.  I didn't tell him that it would work in his gun, I said in my setup.  I shot one at 41 this past spring and rolled him.  Head and neck was ate up.  Keep in mind that the my numbers refer to neck/vertebrate, not head/neck.  No need to come on here trying to call someone out because they have a shotshell/gun/combo that did 5 yards better or worse than yours.  I spend a ton of time shooting because I just like shooting and I know exactly what my combos that I carry will do long before I think of shooting a bird.  But, I do agree with what he said.  Most combos with lead don't produce consistent 40 yard killers with the 20, but he will not know until he tries it.  Overall though, the federal HWT #7 is by far the clear winner in factory twenty gauge shells with the Hevi #7 right behind it for the most part.

I agree with the 75 hits or so, you certainly don't have to have 100+ to kill a turkey by no means.
I have a combo that puts up around 70-90 hits. I wouldn't hesitate to use this out to 40 yds
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

dawei

Quote from: jrmcclure on June 23, 2015, 03:00:03 PM
There is not a 20 gauge lead load out there that consistently produces 100 in the 10" at 40 that I have seen. Any one who has a 40 yard killer pattern please post the pic id like to see it. In my experience lead look great at 30-35 then just falls apart. 40+ is asking for trouble. Federal hw is worth every penny

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

owlhoot

Nice bird dawei :icon_thumright:

New lead load for 20 gauge from of all places , Hevi-shot. Called Triple Beard might bring up the pellet counts . it contains lead 5,6 and 7's which should be ok since most using the 20 gauges are not looking for a past 40 yard turkey stomper.

dawei

David

1. Jesus Christ.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

dawei

Hevi• Shot® bringing out a Pb load; if that don't beat all! LOL!!!!!

David

1. Jesus Christ.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Rick Howard

Thanks for all the info.  I have a few chokes and a few loads to try once the weather warms up a bit.  Hopefully I will get some time in April to really work on this project again.  At the very least I have a setup that I am confident out to 30 yards now.