OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Designing Calls

Started by vt35mag, June 03, 2015, 07:13:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vt35mag

When you guys are designing a new call, approximately how many end up in the trash before you settle on the final design?

GobbleNut

You will likely throw a lot of calls away if you are doing a lot of experimenting with call designs.  However, once you begin to focus in on designs that work, you can pretty much make call after call that "will hunt". 

The fun in making your own calls is in searching for the "holy grail" in a mouth call,...one that makes you the best caller you can be.  I have dozens of calls that I am happy with and would take to the woods,...but I am always looking for one that sounds just a little better.  Because of that, I throw a lot of calls away that are perfectly good hunting calls.

The one real problem with mouth calls is that you can't give them to someone else after you have used them,...few people are comfortable with using a hand-me-down mouth call,...even if it has been disinfected.  Therefore, a lot of good calls end up in the trash. 

But to answer your question directly,...when I started making my own calls, I probably threw away 25% of them pretty quickly,...and the majority of them within a year.  Nowadays, because of the cutting process I go through making calls, it is the rare call that I throw away because I couldn't find the "turkey" in them. 

Gooserbat

Sometimes I accidently create something "new" on a single try.  I did this with the Heckler call but other times it takes months or in one case 3 years to finally get it where I want it.  I've built tens of thousands of mouth calls and I'm still learning. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.