OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What distance do you....

Started by 357MAGNOLE, May 31, 2015, 06:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Sight in your optics for?

With the choke/load combos these days some pretty tight groups are being made.  It makes me curious, shooting at 25 yards I put a majority of the shot within about an 8" circle.  Short of 25 yards and it seems like a possible easy miss.  But once I move back to 40, I might hit a little different from where the main group impacts at 25 yards. So begs the question....

Im thinking about sighting my setup in at 25-30 yards and calling it a day. Here where I shoot, I dont have to worry much about taking shorter than 20 yard shots.  Further out is possible, but the land is too flat and woods are too open to need to wait on a really close shot.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Onpoint

Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on May 31, 2015, 06:24:52 PM

With the choke/load combos these days some pretty tight groups are being made.  It makes me curious, shooting at 25 yards I put a majority of the shot within about an 8" circle.  Short of 25 yards and it seems like a possible easy miss.  But once I move back to 40, I might hit a little different from where the main group impacts at 25 yards. So begs the question....

Im thinking about sighting my setup in at 25-30 yards and calling it a day. Here where I shoot, I dont have to worry much about taking shorter than 20 yard shots.  Further out is possible, but the land is too flat and woods are too open to need to wait on a really close shot.
Sight in at 20, then move out to 40 and make final adjustment to where densest part of pattern is centered in a 10" circle.

A pattern may look pretty close at 20, but say In all reality it's 2" right (which isn't much), it's going to be 4" right at 40.

Onpoint

Quote from: Onpoint on May 31, 2015, 08:41:08 PM
Quote from: 357MAGNOLE on May 31, 2015, 06:24:52 PM

Sight in at 20, then move out to 40 and make final adjustment to where densest part of pattern is centered in a 10" circle.

A pattern may look pretty close at 20, but say In all reality it's 2" right (which isn't much), it's going to be 4" right at 40.
after you get your 40 yard pattern where you want it, fire a round from 30, 20, 10, just to see what it's doing

357MAGNOLE

Thanks, I will use that to help me out with sighting in this week.

I started at the 10 today and worked back to the 40. 10-25-40 but I kept making changes. Probably played into the errors I was seeing at 40.  Consistency could have been off as well.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

jepcho

I usually get it close at 25 then dial it in at 40. I always go back and check at 10, 20, 30 and 50 just to see that my pattern is shooting true at all ranges. 10 yards is always a fun one, I like seeing the carnage it does on a turkey head target.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: jepcho on June 01, 2015, 06:56:15 PM
I usually get it close at 25 then dial it in at 40. I always go back and check at 10, 20, 30 and 50 just to see that my pattern is shooting true at all ranges. 10 yards is always a fun one, I like seeing the carnage it does on a turkey head target.
Probably does not leave much :)

I think the 20-25 yards are my favorite.  Nice tight, brutal pattern.  I know if I get one to 20 heads are coming off as long as I don't completely miss.

sixbird

Good advice above...The reason you find you need to adjust out at 40, when you thought you were on at 15 or 20 is that at those close ranges, you can adjust quite a bit and not move the poi much. As you get further out, the adjustments are magnified. Usually after you adjust at 40, your 10,15,20,etc. will still be on. They're actually "more" on than they were initially.

trkehunr93

20 with field loads until I get it centered then out to 40 with a turkey load or two to make sure everything looks like I want it to.  Pretty simple process.

davisd9

Depends, if it is a scope I figure out my adjustments and start close and work my way out.  If it is rifle sights then about 15-20 yards.  Then I stretch to 40 yards shooting a cheaper lead turkey shell to fine tune.  Then check with my hunting load to make sure it is on or if I need to tweak.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer