turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkeys-2 Renegade-0

Started by renegade19, March 27, 2011, 01:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renegade19

Took my buddy and his boy on their first turkey hunt this weekend.  Had a small flock with 2 long beards roosted on a short ridge bordering a field I had permission to hunt.  Land owner said they were in the field every day.  First morning, the boy and I are in the blind in the field at the base of the hill, 50 yrds out, 100yrd from the birds.  Lots of gobbles from the birds on the roost, they know we're there, decoys are looking good.  They fly down, gobble hot, dominant hen starts in, leads them away.  Day 2, I've called the adjacent landowner and now we're on the ridge where they flew down.  Tree peeps, gobbles.  Run on the slate, they gobble.  We set quiet.  They know we're here.  Close to flydown, I hear a hen off to the north lower on the ridge.  Guess what....they fly down away from us, to where she is on property I don't have permission to hunt.  ARRRGGG!  Guess what boys, youth season is over and first season opens April 4th.  I'll be back to even the score.  Any suggestions or advice other than keep at it?  BTW, the boy had to go to Wal-mart and get the Primos starter kit!!!!!!!   He's hookd!

Timmer

Oh man, that's how turkey hunting goes sometimes!  If they consistently roost there you keep trying different decoy setups and calling sequences, maybe try to work the females as opposed to the males.

Congrats on getting a kid hooked!
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

renegade19

I told him the turkeys win some too!  Neither of them had hunted turkeys before. Now, he and his dad are back home in Tennessee getting prepared to hunt some birds roosting on the ridge behind their house!  Really hope they take a nice gobbler.  It's a blessing to make a positive impact on their relationship.   BTW, the area under that roost smells like a chicken coop.  They roost there every night.  Come Monday, I'll get another shot.