turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to hunt turkeys without becoming deaf

Started by bszweda, April 12, 2015, 04:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bszweda

I ended up getting the Howard leights since they had good reviews and were only 50 dollars.  I will provide an update in a few weeks after I hunt with them.

stinkpickle

Protecting your hearing is always a good investment.  I wish I followed my own advice.  ;)

BTW, I don't notice the noise as much when I'm shooting in an open field, BUT in the woods where the sounds gets deflected all over the place is a completely different story.

Nick_The_Tinkerer

Quote from: silvestris on April 13, 2015, 09:00:25 AM
Quote from: rickyb on April 12, 2015, 06:08:20 PM
No turkey is worth your hearing.

That is debatable.

Just wondering....how are you going to hear the gobbles if you lose your hearing? 

natman

I've used a set of Peltor6s for twenty years. They do a great job of turning my 20" ported choke barrel's BOOM into a faraway boom.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Tactical-Hearing-Protector/dp/B00009363P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433442615

Greg Massey

Simple way to do this is just get you a hand full of cotton balls.. one in each ear and your good to go...
This way you can still hear a turkey gobble etc...

jperch

I have read that for a right handed shooter the left ear is more likely to suffer damage from gun noise.  This is because the right ear is in the head "shadow" relative to the gun blast from the muzzle.  Maybe when a turkey begins "final approach" it would be possible to use a foam earplug in the left ear.  That way one could still hear any final gobbles but you would have some protection.  Just a thought, protecting both ears would certainly be better if possible.  perch

Dtrkyman