News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trail Cameras

Started by 357MAGNOLE, May 25, 2015, 05:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Hmmmm....

Well, this is my first official year of turkey hunting. I dont have the ability to run dogs on base, I can only hunt certain areas that I reserve on a first come first serve basis the morning of a hunt.  Therefore I need to be ahead of the game. I know how to check for droppings, dust bowls, scratching..... I find those all darn day all over the place here.  Does not tell me much on the numbers, times they come through. They seem to travel in a few groups around a giant circle on base. So timing could be huge for me if they have consistent patterns.

I don't see using the trail cameras as anything more than being better prepared.  They are used for deer, how is that any worse than turkey?

And no I dont hunt over bait, its illegal on base any way.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Greg Massey

Warrent... what have you ever done to help the wild turkeys in your area other than be disrespectfull to other hunters.. ive been president for several years of our NWTF chapter in helping with stocking of turkeys and habitat improvements .. So other than run your mouth what have you done Warrent... true be know I bet your not even a member of the NWTF...so as you said each his own...

Greybeard11

Well then.....I run trail cams almost year round and I love the Browning cams. I have 3 of them now. If you are going to buy any camera you need to check out trailcampro.com. They have very competitive prices and you get a free 8MB SD card, free shipping, and a two year warranty with each camera and very fast shipping. I have the TrailForce cameras. Also, buy Lithium batteries. They are more expensive but they last an unbelievable amount of time.
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."  -John Wayne

357MAGNOLE

I went ahead and ordered a browning.  Well, actually what I did was search ebay for used models. I found a store returned, working Browning BTC 3XR.  I got it for $90.  Retail on these, cheapest I found was $150 range. Here is a link to the same model.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1046061-REG/browning_btc_3xr_trail_camera_spec.html

I think it will suit my needs. Ready to give it a test run and see how it does.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Greybeard11

I think you'll be happy with it.

Greg Massey

What do you think about the Browning Strike Force HD cam?  GRAYBEARD

Greybeard11

I really like them. They are very small, almost disappear in the woods, very simple to setup and take great pics. I had older Moultrie cameras for years, then I bought a covert. The moultries used D batteries and ate them like crazy, the covert is OK but setup is a pain. I've had the Brownings since last fall. I think the oldest one I have I bought last August, then one in October and one in November. All three have been out since I purchased them and all three are still using the original set of lithium batteries. I do not use the video so I'm no help there, but I have zero complaints. I strongly suggest that you go to trailcampro.com and check out their website. They sell all the brands and do not push a certain company. They do real world testing on all the cameras so you will find lots of info written so the average guy can understand. They explain what recovery time, field of view, battery usage and other things really are and how it affects performance. By the way I am not affiliated with these guys in any manner, just trying to help. I can't see me buying a camera anywhere else. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

ccleroy

Browning all the way, I've tried them all except Reconyx. The Browning Strike Force are the most dependable and durable cams I've used, great battery life on 6 AA's -@6 months, small, crisp pics and great price point. If you buy check out trailcampro.com . If you buy from them they offer an additional 1 year warranty for free.

Greg Massey

Ok,  thanks guys we have several different types at our hunting cabin...but I'm fixing to order one of the Browning strike force..ive been wanting to try one.

nativeks

I've got the Dark Ops. As soon as we start building our house I am gonna buy a second one to watch the entrance.