OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trail Cameras

Started by 357MAGNOLE, May 25, 2015, 05:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Any of you utilize trail cameras? Are they effective in helping track numbers, times of day that turkey visit certain areas?

I know alot of people "bust up" the turkey groups with dogs or by running at them, here where I hunt dogs are not allowed, and also scattering the birds might mean you run them all off your hunting compartment you have checked out with the game warden on base.

I am hoping to be able to use something to help me figure out when and where the turkey like to be as fall approaches to hopefully up my chances.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Greg Massey

Yes we use trail cameras all the time. We have a farm this year that we call the safety zone that no one is aloud to hunt on this hunting season.  We have several pictures of the turkeys coming to the clover food plots. We have morning, mid day and afternoon pictures..we have four farms we turkey hunt on and we alternate one of these farms each year to let turkeys just be turkeys ... we also use these cameras to make sure we have no trespassers and to see what predators are on these farms.  Trail cameras are a great help to our hunting club we also use these so we don't over hunt our farms during deer season.

Greg Massey

Trail cameras are something we keep out all year ..we had 6 out on our hunting cabin and last October we had 4 young men come and break into the cabin and lucky they didn't know about the cameras and we the video and pictures the sheriff Dept was able to arrest all 4 of them.. they were all on drugs...I would suggest to anyone get you some black out cameras and keep these on your hunting cabins or club houses.

357MAGNOLE

What brand do you recommend, there are so many out there.  I need something that wont be easily noticed from either animal or people.  I hunt on a base that is pretty populated with people hiking trails and what not. The areas I hunt don't seem to have a ton of people activity but I sure would hate it if someone went off with a camera. 

I guess price for me is preferably less than $150.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Greg Massey

We like the covert cameras, bushnell and moultrie... our number one choose is the covert...check Wing Supply they always have a good price on the covert cam...if you can get it with a 8 or better Mp...get it black out also...I think you will see wing supply will have a good cam for under 150 dollars.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 25, 2015, 06:14:20 PM
We like the covert cameras, bushnell and moultrie... our number one choose is the covert...check Wing Supply they always have a good price on the covert cam...if you can get it with a 8 or better Mp...get it black out also...I think you will see wing supply will have a good cam for under 150 dollars.

What do you mean by "Black out" I never heard of that term

Greg Massey

You don't see the flash of the camera... it helps keep from people stealing them at night... also some cam have were you can put a code in the cam and if they don't know the code it want work for them if it gets stolen.

357MAGNOLE

Cool, I am checking out the MP8 right now, looks like a nice deal.

Greg Massey

Yes they are good cam and covert has a good warr...and customer service

357MAGNOLE

Awesome, thanks for all the help. I found a couple on ebay for $105, mounts for $19 shipped.  Not a bad price for both, I want to try one for now. I feel like it will be exiting loading the SD card and seeing the pictures taken. How do you typically set up the camera? Take a photo every few seconds of activity or minutes? I see it has an option to go from every second it detects something to every hour.

Greg Massey

That kind of depends on turkeys min. Are ok because most of the time they move a lot slower and for deer you want seconds..because they move faster thru the cam etc ...so it depends on the speed of the animal ...you know what I mean...

Greg Massey

Pictures speed of cam is something you will just have to see what you like best...

nativeks

I am a huge fan of Browning trail cameras. Some of the best cameras for the money IMO.  And yes they help. FWIW I also have a Cabelas. I like the little LCD screen inside. When I'd arrive to turkey hunt I could tell if anything had been there recently.

Greg Massey

Yes great pictures and yes the Browning cam are good also...

Greg Massey

You are way off base with that remark Warrent...Ive never hunted turkeys off a pile of corn.. I don't use game cameras for that purpose.. so as you just said each his own..for you making that remark I guess you have hunted over corn piles.
And yes I AM a respectful turkey hunt and of the land the GOOD LORD has blessed use with to hunt...so if this the only remark you have to make then I don't think to much of you as a hunter..