OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hey shootum

Started by turkey_slayer, March 27, 2011, 10:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey_slayer

Remember the thread "do turkeys like thick stuff"?  I went scouting yesterday and remembered to take a pic.  Is this what you ran into in kansas?  The bark and limbs are covered in these things.  The needles are about 3 inches long are sharp and tough.  This use to be all pasture then these things took over.  They have red berries in the fall that turkey and bear love.  Anyone know what these are really called?  Heard em called a lot of 4 letter words but I dont think they were the proper name  :goofball:  These are crappy cell phone pics.

bird

turkey_slayer

Quote from: bird on March 27, 2011, 10:12:11 AM
Honeylocust

Honey locust have pods where these dont.  The thorns remind you of a locust though.

shootumindaface

LOL That was soo funny in KS.. The wind was blowing a steady 35 with gusts 50mph.. I stopped let out a call and one of them branches blew in the wind, stuck through my hat, and about a 1/4 into my forehead..

Sal fell down laughing as I was pulling that needle out of my head and blood rushed down my forehead..

redleg06

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 27, 2011, 10:21:24 AM
LOL That was soo funny in KS.. The wind was blowing a steady 35 with gusts 50mph.. I stopped let out a call and one of them branches blew in the wind, stuck through my hat, and about a 1/4 into my forehead..

Sal fell down laughing as I was pulling that needle out of my head and blood rushed down my forehead..

No matter how tough you think a pair of boots are, its still best to step around honey locust bushes cause they CAN penetrate some rubber boots without problem....ask me how I know :bike2:

turkey_slayer

After some research I think these are called Hawthorns.  It has the thorns and red berries like what I have a pic of.  These are more like a bush than a tree and the honey locust can get fairly tall where as the Hawthorns are more of a big bush like these.  I had a guy tell me another name for them but I cant remember what it was.  Something like autumn olive?

shootumindaface

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 27, 2011, 01:03:11 PM
After some research I think these are called Hawthorns.  It has the thorns and red berries like what I have a pic of.  These are more like a bush than a tree and the honey locust can get fairly tall where as the Hawthorns are more of a big bush like these.  I had a guy tell me another name for them but I cant remember what it was.  Something like autumn olive?
we have autumn olive and they have thorns, but nothing like what I ran to in KS.

Nimrodmar10

If a grizzly was after me and the only tree I had to climb was a Honey Locust, I'd fight the grizz. :character0029:

[attachment deleted by admin]

lmbhngr

turkey_slayer

Quote from: lmbhngr on March 27, 2011, 04:19:52 PM
Thornapple???

From what I read, thornapple and hawthorn were both the same. I could be wrong again though  ;D The hawthorn is also an invasive species.  This spot is the only place in Va I have seen them and this particular patch is about a mile long and I would say about 100 yards wide.  This was a field at one time and grass still grows under it with a few small (20 yards x 20yards) open spots.  I guess thats why they still stay in it in the spring since the berries are long gone by then.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on March 27, 2011, 03:12:44 PM
If a grizzly was after me and the only tree I had to climb was a Honey Locust, I'd fight the grizz. :character0029:

You got that right!  I only know of 1 honey locust around here and the deer will tear up the pods after it frosts on them

Nimrodmar10

When we were kids we'd take the pods and tear them open and lick the sap out of them. It tastel like molasses or honey. Thus the name Honey Locus. Yeah, we're country and proud of it.  :z-guntootsmiley:

PANYHunter

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 27, 2011, 04:47:51 PM
Quote from: lmbhngr on March 27, 2011, 04:19:52 PM
Thornapple???

From what I read, thornapple and hawthorn were both the same. I could be wrong again though  ;D The hawthorn is also an invasive species.  This spot is the only place in Va I have seen them and this particular patch is about a mile long and I would say about 100 yards wide.  This was a field at one time and grass still grows under it with a few small (20 yards x 20yards) open spots.  I guess thats why they still stay in it in the spring since the berries are long gone by then.

That's what it looks like to me.  We have them up here too and they are no fun.  We always send the new guy through them on deer drives

OLE RASPY

I believe your right hawthorn.From what i can tell and u describing.

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."