OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Where is my shot going?

Started by ul ess, February 09, 2011, 02:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ul ess

I recently rebuilt my 870 into a turkey slaying machine. It's an 870 with a Knoxx stock, 23"VR barrel, with a JH .665 choke. I decided to mount an EoTech XPS I had sitting around on a B-Square mount. The problem is the dot is about 2 3/4" above the centerline of the barrel. That being said I have two questions.

Allowing for the sight offset where would be my best point of aim?

How much drop should I expect from H13 #6 (preferred shell)  at 20yd and 40yds be?

shootumindaface

If I am understanding you correctly you are worried due to the height of the sight and your barrel your shot will be way off?

You have adjustable optics, starting at 15 yards and sight it in.. Their will be little difference between this distance and 40.. The spread of the pattern will most likely accomodate for any drop

turkey_slayer

Quote from: shootumindaface on February 09, 2011, 02:17:00 PM
If I am understanding you correctly you are worried due to the height of the sight and your barrel your shot will be way off?

You have adjustable optics, starting at 15 yards and sight it in.. Their will be little difference between this distance and 40.. The spread of the pattern will most likely accomodate for any drop

Thats the way I understand it as well.  The red dot on my fast fire looks to be a a couple inches above of my barrel as well after getting it sighted in but its dead on  :icon_thumright:

BigPeck215

you do not have to worry about the shot trajectory dropping at any reasonable turkey range i.e. less that 50 yds

as far as the sight being high above the barrel, it will not be an issue just sight it in to shoot dead on at 20yds and then again at 40 to verify POA/POI and your set to go

ul ess

Thanks, thats what i was thinking