OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turpin style box

Started by Spitten and drummen, May 14, 2015, 11:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

I own a pile of cost style box calls , but not one of these. For those of you with experience with this style call , do you feel that they have a different sound than a cost style. In the hands of a proficient caller , can you tell a difference in tonal quality? Also do you think one style sounds better the
than the other. I am about to order a billy Buice Turpin style and a Richard Hudson hen box. Also I would like some wood combinations that you prefer. Thanks
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

55dougie

I would highly recommend Richard Hudson's Hen Box, great call and a great guy too.....

I really like mine and so do the turkeys.

good luck....
Doug. ~ a.k.a. 55dougie

Please check out my web site at: http://drkorn55.wix.com/dougkornsworkshop

callmakerman

I have made a few Turpins and have hunted them for about 5 years now. The yelp on a Turpin box are a little deeper with a great yawk at the end of the yelp like an older hen. The cuts and clucks seem to be sharper to me than a Cost box. The makers you have mentioned will build you a fine box for sure and play them for you over the phone for you. I will say this. Get one or two hunt them and you will be hooked. They sound that good.

Bennett

I agree with callmakerman. You will be hooked. Good choices on your makers. I have over 20 of Mr. Billy's and 6 of Richard's, with more on the way. I always have one of each in my vest. I also have one coming from Chuck Anderson that I can't wait to try. It took me a little while to get comfortable playing them but once you do, you will be very pleased with the sound. I have also heard great things about callmakerman's Turpins.

jordanz7935

I love my Chuck Anderson teak/rosewood hen box. They definately have a unique sound that i haven't heard out of any other style box call. Like has been said, there was a learning curve with it for but once you get used to the call, you wont hunt without it. I called in a gobbler to about 75yds that wouldnt come out of the woods(had hens with him), and a pair of coyotes with my hen box yesterday. Definately see myself getting more hen boxes in the future.

TauntoHawk

Tagging this one as I've had the same thought and only own cost style.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

mgm1955

Quote from: callmakerman on May 15, 2015, 10:23:16 AM
I have made a few Turpins and have hunted them for about 5 years now. The yelp on a Turpin box are a little deeper with a great yawk at the end of the yelp like an older hen. The cuts and clucks seem to be sharper to me than a Cost box. The makers you have mentioned will build you a fine box for sure and play them for you over the phone for you. I will say this. Get one or two hunt them and you will be hooked. They sound that good.
:agreed:100%. One other maker to consider is John Eddleman(Mr. E.) from MS.

Roughneck

In my opinion they have a sound of there on but I like it to me it's just a get down an dirty old school sound of an old snarly hen but every ones ears are different. Richard Hudson makes a good one only one I have. But I have ran john eldermans and bob fulchers Turpin style calls an they sound good also wouldn't hesitate on any of them. Bill Lyman "callmakerman" on here makes one also they look good to never ran one of his those.

strutnrut

Don't let OL Bill off the hook. He makes and runs a jam up Turpin. Thanks for the kind words guys. I am touched . 

hunter22

I have owned Turpin style box calls from most of the guys who make them and the two I hunt with were made by Chuck Anderson and Richard Hudson. Hard to beat that old hen yauk you get with one.

Spitten and drummen

How can I get in touch with chuck. Thanks.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

hunter22

Chuck Anderson is hunter62 on here. I have not seen him on here in a few days. I am sure he is turkey hunting in New York right now but I am sure he can help you out.

Spitten and drummen

Just got off the phone with Richard. Ordered a snakewood over black limba. Now the wait begins.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"

hunter22

Great choice for sure. Snakewood is one of my favorite turkey call woods.

strutnrut

Now that my season is over I will be in the shop catching up. Thanks so very much for allowing me to build calls for you guys. I will do my best.