OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is it worth it?

Started by 101st501, May 11, 2015, 05:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

101st501

So I go to my local WMA Saturday and only hear two birds.  One of them gobbles one time and the other about 6 or 8 times.  I did not go Sunday, and today I went and did not hear a single peep.  Our season in southwest Georgia goes out on the fifteenth.  I am wondering is it already done.  I don't like getting up at 4:30 and driving nearly 100 miles round trip for not even a gobble.  Should I go tomorrow, or not?

packmule

Yes, remember how you felt in January and how you will feel in June.  It's turkey season.

CrustyRusty

Yes you should go..i just had a vision that you got a big tom.  I will put my lucky underwear on to make sure however, it's powerful juju and should help.  Definitely go :turkey2:

jakesdad

As hard as it is to go sometimes,especially when its slow,remember theres always a chance that it might be "the day".100% positive you're not gonna call one into the living room while you're watching TV.

Ive been there and its rough so I know how ya feel brother!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

mikejd

Its always worth going. Thats one thing I love about turkey hunting. It goes from quiet slow day to wide open in 5 minutes.

Greg Massey

Yes...just because you didn't hear him doesn't mean hes not in the area ... if hes older than a 2 yr. Old turkey say 3 yr. Or older hes not going to gobble as much anyway...older birds that are smart may only gobble couple times.

ridgerunner

Can't kill em on the couch...get out there!

kyturkeyhunter4

Don't give up yet, get in the woods and get after em.

falltoms

Yes. I wish I had a dollar for everytime i said, I almost didn't go today while holding up a gobbler.

eddie234

I've felt the same way before and slept in and then around 10 o'clock I said I wish I had went hunting. Remember that a bad day today can change tomorrow. They may be gobbling their heads off.

TRG3

Even if they are not gobbling and even if the breeding season is over, there's still the peck order approach to consider. Both gobblers and hens have an established peck order and if a "stranger" wanders into their area and they hear him gobbling, there's a chance that other toms will venture over to see who this intruder is and why he is so bold as to be gobbling. Doesn't he know his place? Is he trying to get above his raisin'? I'll throw in a few hen yelps just in case those gobblers listening are still interested in breeding. In my experience, while some birds come in gobbling, most come in silent to size up the new guy. Those that continue the journey often come in on the run and seem to appear out of no where. For a decoy, I often use my Pretty Boy with a ragged fan or my Funky Chicken along with a hen in the breeding position, both set up in the open for easy visability. I used this technique about a week ago to bag a tom that had ignored me two weeks earlier. If possible, try to hunt in an area that is void of other hunters since they may be attracted to your calling. It's an exciting way to hunt and you need to remain still but vigilant.

mgm1955

Quote from: ridgerunner on May 11, 2015, 06:21:57 PM
Can't kill em on the couch...get out there!
My sentiment exactly!!

darn2ten

Got get out there, you never know. Though it may be slowing down a little I promise it's not over. I've seen strutting gobblers with hens the first week of June before in south Ga.

CT Spur Collector

Yep, you gotta go.

As much as the ticks, recent hot weather here in Pa and getting up early thirty, as much as I want to quit on this second tag........It's burning a hole right through my pocket!!  I'm going!

Get out there!

tomstopper

It get frustrating but stay after him. I just look at it like this "a bad day hunting is better than a good day working any day". Good luck