OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

"Turkey Reaping" Video

Started by Selluwud, May 07, 2015, 09:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinkpickle

Quote from: snapper1982 on May 11, 2015, 09:09:56 AM
Quote from: warrent423 on May 08, 2015, 03:22:34 PM
"pet" turkey hunting at its finest. Pathetic. When I come across one of these idiots, laying face down, dead, with their face blown off, still clutching a turkey fan, I will take their gun and wallet, along with anything else of value on them. I figure anyone this stupid didn't deserve to have what I took anyway ;)

More people are shot by just calling than hunting this way. No matter how you hunt there is a risk of getting shot even if you wear orange. So I guess all of us that hunt no matter what the way we choose to are idiots and don't deserve what we got according to you.

Just because all of you who are against it doesn't like this way does NOT mean you get to control the way everyone else hunts. It is stupid for you all to talk about something you have never done like you know the everything about it. Why can't you people learn to live and let live. Mind your own business and let them mind theirs. All of you who do not even do it this way has a chance of being shot just by walking in the woods. I don't see people bashing calling or using decoys or walking bacause of the off chance that someone will get shot. The old man who was shot in Maryland sure as hell was not reaping and he was shot twice for just walking.

Bottom line is if you are worried about shooting a reaper it is time for you to go back and review firearms rules. Identify your target! I do not know a single hunter that could not identify a turkey from a decoy(even a stuffer) given a little bit of time to actually evaluate it especially at 40 and closer in an open field.

Time for all you guys to get off the almighty horse(you do not get to tell others what they can and can't do) and stop fighting other hunters just because you do not like the way they hunt. Imagine where we would be if hunters chose to fight antis and not fight each other. Hell the antis could just sit back and let us self-destruct with all the damn bashing I keep seeing from every form of hunting.

Nonsense!  There is no place for logic and reason in this post.  Besides, I paid a lot of money for this tall horse.   :TooFunny:

snapper1982

mudhen

Doesn't really bother me...

I bet lots of folks crawl around and bushwhack birds, so not sure why a certain method of whacking would bother anyone...

Does anyone really think all the birds being posted were taken at 10 yards, after being call to once every 30 minutes, by a guy in old school camo, non-camo gun, with just a handful of granola in his pocket ??

Killing is killing...for the most part...bird is dead either way....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

yelpaholic

Ive been turkey hunting almost 30 years, so I guess I would be considered ole school.. Ive crawled a few in my day that just wouldn't do right.. I ve even used a decoy a few times not much...And some little part of me thinks that would probably be an adrenaline rush to get charged by a big gobbler behind one of those things..  not that anybody cares but its just not for me, but im ole school

Greybeard11

Dude...if it's legal and you enjoy it I say have at it. But it would still be SCARY!!
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway."  -John Wayne

TRG3

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't antelope hunters do something similar to close the distance? I'm sure that I've seen a hunting show with a couple of guys huddled behind an antelope cutout...or maybe it was a cow cutout...as they made their way in close enough for a shot at the buck antelope. This method of turkey hunting seems to be the same deal to me. It's just another method of turkey hunting that some will try while other will not make the effort. It's something I'll certainly consider, especially if the gobbler is hung up and won't come any further. I once crawled a couple of hundred yards to close the deal on a gobbler hung up in the middle of a field. That was exciting! Adding another tail fan to carry with my decoys just gives me another option, like reloading my turkey shells, hunting with my flintlock fowler, using the wing feathers for my traditional arrows, using a black bucket to make a decoy, etc.

otinhunter

I used this method last year to harvest my biggest Indiana gobbler to date 27 1/2 pounds. I was hunting a friend's northern Indiana lease that is just a field. The woods that connects to the field they don't have permission. I walked on my knees for around 300 yds.  There was a total of 5 toms and six hens in the middle of the field and it was the only way that I could think of getting close to them. I shot my bird at 25 yds and it was an adrenaline rush. Not the way I would want to hunt gobblers every year but some circumstances it may be the only way.
  And yes safety is the biggest issue with this method.

mikejd

Looks like a rush for sure. It may not be the way I want to hunt or can for that matter since I hunt public land.
However I also dont like to bash other hunters for the way they hunt.
as long as the means of hunting are legal have at it. We have to many battles with anti's and such that we need not fight amongst ourselves. And if it means more people enjoying our sport all the better for us.

eggshell

I have experienced reaping/fanning once and I personally felt like it was an empty hunt, but I won't say it is wrong for everyone . I do think you have to keep the place and situation in mind for safety. I would not want to try this in brushy public land, as I think that would be asking for trouble. So it's a matter of context.

As for me, I do not even own a decoy. It has been a long time since I have not tagged out in the first week or two of hunting with just me, my gun and a call. This is my choice and the way i like it, but someone else has a different way. Neither is wrong if they are legal. In my 43 years i have tried about everything and killed gobblers by all means i deemed necessary.

Most of the comments are just expression of personal choice and self imposed principles, with a couple exceptions. Warrent, I can't agree with you nor am I impressed with Snapper's rebuttal, but that too is my opinion and means very little in the grand game of life. May peace and safe hunting be with you all.

Ihuntoldschool

No turkey hunter deserves to get shot.  However, no turkey hunter wants to make the mistake of shooting another hunter either.  Identify your target has always been the most important aspect as far as safety.  This new technique is an invitation for a hunting accident (s). It is bad for our sport, whether legal or not.  With this technique, a hunter could easily identify their target and still shoot a man.

silvestris

I have no desire to fight with reapers, I just choose not to associate with them.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

WV TURKEY THUG

id try it but i would use a spear instead of a gun. dont have any fields in the area i hunt so i guess ill never be able to

jakesdad

Watch out if this catches on. You guys are gonna make birds "fan shy"  ;D ;D

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

GobbleNut

Quote from: jakesdad on May 12, 2015, 02:39:45 PM
Watch out if this catches on. You guys are gonna make birds "fan shy"  ;D ;D

It will be interesting, over time, to see how this tactic will change turkey behavior.  I have no doubt that it will.

jims

I would have to agree with the posts above that toms....and hens in areas where fanning is used fairly regularly may become fan-shy over time.   This is similar to call-shy bull elk, decoy shy geese....and decoy shy turkeys.  From what I've seen turkeys are a lot smarter than a lot of guys give them credit for!