North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

I Hollah

Started by FullChoke, May 06, 2015, 11:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Hey guys,

A number of our team mates have been conspicuously quiet this year. We would love to hear the good, the bad and the ugly stories about how your season is going so far. If the birds have been gobbling, but you can't get them to act right, tell us. If you have missed 3 times this year, tell us. If you want to take up golf instead of hunting turkeys...keep that to yourself, Mkay?

Remember that this contest is for fun and camaraderie. You can tell us how you screwed up and we will laugh with you, not at you.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

jakesdad

This has been the worst "best" year for me in well...ever.Been hunting a family members farm which is about 90 acres .Mostly timber with a pipeline r/w thru it. The first 14 days of our season I hunted 11 days.Heard multiple birds(4-6)everyday on the property. These birds have not been hunted in years if ever. They do not like to play nice.Would never do the same thing 2 days in a row...ever. Tried setups in the timber when it was still fairly open;setup on the pipeline with decoys and sometimes without.Snuck in close to the roost;had birds gobble midday on their own and would work,but would come in from the oddest most unpredictable ways.Had hens roosted with gobblers.Hens would pitch down into pipeline and walk into and mingle with dekes.Gobblers would gobble their butts off,then walk away from the hens knowing darn good and well where the hens had gone.That scenario happened on more than one occasion.Had a bird gobble on their own at 11 one day not 50 yds from where I was walking out on a logging road.Setup where I could see a 2 acre clearing and the road.Called one time.....double gobble and coming.Then silence.And waiting..and waiting...and waiting.Next thing I know he had come up from behind me thru a ditch full of multiflora rose.What?? had a gobbler come up behind me with some hens.A mound of dirt was between me and him about 10 yds away.I could see his fan then he would step out,turn around and walk away then do it again.I finally got to where I could spin around and here comes the fan top.Safety off looking down the barrel here he comes,three more feet and its lights out.Well for some reason thats where he decides to stop,turn around and go back only never to return. Saw him shortly after in the pipeline with hens. All in all it was a good season as far as birds and activity,but it was pretty pitiful as far as me pulling the trigger. One more weekend then the pain is over for another year! Gotta love it!!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

gophert

I have called up 15 shootable longbeards, but this pretty much sums up my season!

https://youtu.be/pAe4HjsWOI4

Big perm2

On my that was no good!! Could you not get another shot?!?!?

Talkem into given up!!!

xarcher

Real quick...

My trip to Alabama resulted in 2 dead birds but not at my hand.  Called them up to others in my group.  My time is SC was the driest I have ever had there.  Best I could do was call up a couple of jakes.  The activity was quiet, quiet, quiet.  So it was good to get back home to PA.  Have killed one and called up a few for others.  Still have a couple of weeks left to try and get an upgrade. 

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.