Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turning tools/ What is the best brand for the buck?

Started by selinoid44, March 26, 2011, 07:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selinoid44

So we have talked about tools quite a bit, like sharpening and only buying the two or three tools you will most likely use the most. Probably most of us have purchased a cheap 'set' of tools to start out with or at best some middle of the class tools. So my question is, if your in the market for some top of the line tools to turn with, what is the best tool for the money? I've thought about purchasing some of the Robert Sorby stuff, only what I need of course. Is there other brands that might be better quality or have a name that is just as good but maybe not as well known? Maybe Woodriver? I also use the carbide disc cutters but am not that impressed and would rather use the standard tool.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

Bonjour

I have a brand that I have gotten at woodcraft that are pinnacle tools. They have a rosewood handle and hold an edge pretty good being high speed steel. I believe the 3/8 fingernail bowl gouge was about between 30-40 dollars.

Gobblerstopper

I bought 4-6 Crown tools when I first decided to buy something better than what I had.  I have been pleased with them, but bought a Easy Wood Tools mini rougher the other day and it is amazing.  It makes turning the inside of pots very simple.  In the long run, I see it being cheaper than spending $40-$70 on a similar tool and having to sharpen it.  For $14 you can get one new tip that give you 4 fresh sides without losing any of the tool to sharpening.

misfire

I got a set off eBay last year, cant remember the name to save my life. HSS, big handles and feel great in my hands. Think I paid $60 for the set of 8 chisels and that included shipping
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

cleanslate

Maybe not he best, but I scored a whole bunch of craftsman tools at the local flea market a couple of years ago for $20. They do ok for me, I imagine if I had something better than a belt sander to sharpen them with they would perform better.

selinoid44

I also have a set of Craftsman tools and I'm not impressed with them. I want to get into a higher end tool. I think the Sorby or Pinnacle I'm not sure yet.

'Flush Draw' Calls
Charlie Louthain
574-527-9785

dreis3

The guy at my local woodcraft recommended I go with Pinnacle when I went there to upgrade. My biggest concern was how long the tools would hold an edge, as I'm no expert honer by any means.  I can say that I am a huge fan of the Pinnacle gouge I purchased and am looking into purchasing more Pinnacle in the future.

-Derick
D. Reis Custom Calls
www.dreiscustomcalls.com

CallMaker

I use Pinnacle tools. The HSS Cryogenic tools hold an edge longer  than anything else I've ever used.  I bought a five piece set at Woodcraft for just over a hundred bucks.
Steven

lightsoutcalls

I buy my gouges from Grizzly.  A set of 5 midi gouges are about $41 before shipping.  I use 3 of the 5 gouges in the set pretty much as is then grind the 4th to my own custom shape.  These generally last me about a year per set.  I sharpen my tools on a belt sanded and a cheap 6 inch bench grinder, so I can't see paying high dollar for tools that I will just be grinding away.  These do the job for me with good results.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

TarheelTurk

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on June 02, 2011, 04:23:01 PM
I buy my gouges from Grizzly.  A set of 5 midi gouges are about $41 before shipping.  I use 3 of the 5 gouges in the set pretty much as is then grind the 4th to my own custom shape.  These generally last me about a year per set.  I sharpen my tools on a belt sanded and a cheap 6 inch bench grinder, so I can't see paying high dollar for tools that I will just be grinding away.  These do the job for me with good results.
Wendell suggested this set when I asked about this a while back(or someone else di idk "OLD TIMERS LOL) anyway i dont turn as many calls as he does but can say the tools are holding up GREAT and are getting the job done for my callmaking. I have no complaints. Jus my 2 cents worth
Jason
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

stone road turkey calls

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on June 02, 2011, 04:23:01 PM
wendell could you send me a item # for the mini gouges from grizzly id like to try them. thanks gary
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

TarheelTurk

I looked back @ the reciept from Grizzly the set i bought item # is H5980-5 pc. HSS Lathe Chisel Set 10", i believe this is the set wendell was refering too (or the closest i found to it, if not i also would love the item # for my next set purchase :you_rock:)
Jason
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

lightsoutcalls

Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

pappy

AS A TURNER.I have around fifty different chisels, ranging from 125.00+ each to flea market prices. I am going to be honest, the tool you need to pick is one of a good quality metal choice, all kinds on the market claim to be the best, high speed steel is just as good if you maintain a proper sharpening routine as this is the most important thing with any chisel. M-2 steel works fine but needs to be polished after you sharpen them, cryo genic from Pinnicle claims to out last other steels and they do, but they are pricy and if you are wanting to purchase a set be rady to dish out some major bucks, 180.00 to 300.00 +..... personally I do not have any but I do have several Sorby, now there is a great tool, I have had mne for five years and sharpen them routinely, but with these you only need to recondition the edge and bevel slightly, a good set of three chisels will run you around 80.00 but if you need a tool that will stay sharp with little effort these are the way to go.
One last note, you may conside carbide ... you want to get scared go here and check these bad boys out....  http://carbidewoodturningtools.com/?gclid=CPD0mtCdqakCFUW8KgodokGrMA
But...if you have access to a good machinist he could make you some great tools, Sanitorium on this site can do just that, I have three of his tools and each one is perfect, I have used one for a year and have not even turned the cutting edge around!!!!!
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206