OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Regular lead shot

Started by jodyp427, April 30, 2015, 07:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jodyp427

Does anyone still use regular lead loads for turkey and not turkey loads. I just don't see the reason to pay 10 to 30 dollars a box of 10 when I can get 25 for 15 dollars. I think if people would wait the turkey would get close enough to shoot with a high brass 1 1/8 ounce #6 load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BandedSpur

Yes, apparently they do. I killed two birds this year that had previously been wounded with uncoated lead shot. One bird had two #5 pellets and two #4 pellets in the breast meat. The other bird had one #5 pellet in him. The key, as you said, is letting the bird get close enough. And with most non-turkey lead ammo that means 30 yds and in.

jordanz7935

Of all the $ we spend to chase these birds, turkey loads are about the cheapest expense we have. The last thing i would do is just go hunting with regular game loads. I want the best pattern possible to put a gobbler in the dirt. And the best pattern comes from Turkey loads plain and simple. While i totally agree regular game loads will probably work out to 30yds, although you wouldnt catch me dead in the woods with a game load in any of my turkey guns.

jodyp427

I don't know how my granddad ever killed a turkey. He just had regular loads and a fixed choke gun. He must know something that a lot of people today don't. I think it is just ammo company's making a killing selling lies. I agree ammo is most likely the cheapest part of this game but ever dollar counts. I have also killed birds that had shot in them but I would bet they were shot a lot farther than I would try. I like them close before I shoot.

Longshanks

Quote from: jodyp427 on April 30, 2015, 07:19:25 AM
Does anyone still use regular lead loads for turkey and not turkey loads. I just don't see the reason to pay 10 to 30 dollars a box of 10 when I can get 25 for 15 dollars. I think if people would wait the turkey would get close enough to shoot with a high brass 1 1/8 ounce #6 load.

Win Super X High Brass 1 1/4 6's will put them down inside 30yds.  Win Super X 1 7/8 6's (turkey loads) 10.99 for 10 will put them down in the 30-40 yd range if the pattern is there. Don't have to spend allot of money to get some good turkey loads.

Hankyorke

Turkey THUG shells are on sale at Walmart for 7.25/10. If that's too much why hunt at all?

trkehunr93

Quote from: Hankyorke on May 01, 2015, 09:54:30 AM
Turkey THUG shells are on sale at Walmart for 7.25/10. If that's too much why hunt at all?

Agreed.  It is personal choice though, if you can make yourself wait until there 25 yrds or closer then it makes sense.  I just like to know I have that buffer out to 40 if need be, thats why I shoot the Win. HV 3.5" 5's.