OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

MD hunter - public land Q

Started by AlmostThere, April 28, 2015, 08:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlmostThere

This is my second season, and I feel like I'm getting a bit better every time I go out.  I have never shot a turkey yet, but I am determined. 

Here's what happened this morning.  I get to a good spot and set up two decoys (hen and jake).  Around 5:50am a gobbler starts gobbling from a tree about 90 yards off, real close.  I'm hunting in Maryland, btw (near Frederick). 

I sit tight, I don't throw a tree help, I throw a couple of soft clucks.  He must have gobbled 40 times, right up till about 630am.  Then he pitches down.  I throw a louder yelp as soon as he's on the ground. 

Long story short, he wandered off in a direction that he consistently moves in, although I didn't hear any hens.  He also would have had to walk down a narrow tree-lined trail to get to where I was sitting.   Never saw him get close, and heard his calls grow further distant as he moved in the other direction.

What did I do wrong?  He was so close!  So frustrating.....!! Thanks for any advice.

BowBendr

Quote from: AlmostThere on April 28, 2015, 08:36:07 PM....Long story short, he wandered off in a direction that he consistently moves in....

Pulled that statement out to show you that you answered your own question.
If he was consistently going 1 direction, you should have been in his route of travel.
Trust your knowledge of the birds actions.
If they are doing something routine, capitalize on it as soon as you realize it before they do something different.

Sent by this stupid phone

Remturkey

Doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, he was just being a turkey who didn't read the script, lol. BTW you hunting in the watershed or Cunningham falls park? My neck of the woods.

AlmostThere

No I haven't hunted those spots.  I'm actually more near Poolesville (Mckee WMA).  Frederick is the closest point of reference where poeple whom I know actually hunt. 

These MD birds are tricky!! 

Remturkey

Yes they are. Just keep at it and don't give up.

tjohn07

My guess is he probably had hens with him. I have been having the same problem here in southern MD. The last couple hunts have been tough. Just cause you don't hear hens doesn't mean they aren't there.  Just keep after them. I have always had good luck the last couple weeks of the season after the hens are spending most of there time nesting and most of the hunters have given up.