turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Her first turkey...

Started by whiskey, March 26, 2011, 02:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskey

This morning, Saturday, March 26th, was the Tennessee youth turkey hunting weekend. I have been scouting the flock at our hunting lease for more than a month. I watched the birds go to roost on Thursday and then set up my blind to put Lana and I in good position for opening morning. Well, all night Thursday, I second guessed my placement. I decided to get up early and watch the flock come off roost Friday morning before work. After watching the birds I decided to move my blind again Friday evening.

We were set up across a long pasture from the birds' roost. I had the decoys out and us in the blind plenty early this morning. The birds were gobbling great on the roost and we could hear 3 distinct groups of toms gobbling in front of us. About 10 minutes to 7:00 the first birds came flying down in to the pasture. We had two small groups of hens pass in front of us and were listening to all the gobblers in front of us, but hadn't seen one yet. Then we hear gobbling behind us, at the top of the hill. Lana looked over her shoulder and could see two gobblers strutting at the top of the hill. I couldn't figure out how they had gotten behind us! Just then I looked across the pasture and saw two gobblers heading towards us from the front. Just behind the two toms was an army of hens, probably 40 or so.

The old boss hen, with a 5" beard, came trotting in ready to pounce my decoy. She was all ruffed up and dragging 5 sisters with her. That was all it took to pull those two longbeards in front of us over to the decoys. There was 2 year old and a 3 year old bird strutting together and the 3 year old was behind the younger bird. I was whispering to Lana, "Get ready, stay on him. I am going to bring him out of strut."  I said calmly, "Hey Tom!" The 2 year old's head shot up and Lana hammered him.

17 yards out, 20ga Mossberg with Undertaker choke, 3" Hevi-Shot Magnum Blend and he never even flopped!

2 years old, 17 pounds, 8" beard and 7/8" spurs. I am one proud Dad!

Shotgun

Man that's awesome  :icon_thumright: Congrats on a hunt you and your daughter will never forget

pittboss

Great job  :icon_thumright: looks like your final move worked out for the both of you. Congrats :icon_thumright:

pittboss
Gobble Gobble Boom !!!!!

Turkeyfan

hookedspur

Nice job ,What a Bird. :icon_thumright:  :icon_thumright:  :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

greenhead11

Flydown

That is wonderfull! Congrats to Lana and Dad on the hunt of a lifetime! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

TnTurk

I know your proud of her. Looks like you've got a beautiful young turkey hunter right there. Congrats to the both of you.   :icon_thumright:

Hognutz

Congrats to Lana and Whiskey. Nice story, nice tom, great pictures. That is one happy girl, right there. :you_rock: :fud: :newmascot:  Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

BOFF

Great reading hunt, and picture.

Your daughter is a beautiful young lady, and a good shot. At 17 yards she had to be on the bird with today's patterns.

Congrats to you both!!

God Bless,
David B.

BigHooks

CONGRATS, too the both of u  The whole story is all over her face.......

M,Yingling

Congrats to you both ,, nice bird  :icon_thumright:
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Jay

:icon_thumright: Totally awesome!!! That picture is definitely a wall hanger. Would have been cool on video to see it go down.

OLE RASPY

FLGobstopper

Congrats to you both on a job well done and an unforgettable experience.