Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Jakesdad first weekend

Started by FullChoke, April 24, 2015, 06:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

Missouri, in their divine wisdom, opens their 2015 season on a MONDAY?? Anyway, this is the opening weekend for our Missouri brother who is going to "Show Me" how to hunt turkeys (and man, do I need to know!). Sic 'em Tim!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

jakesdad

Well Monday started with 30-40 mph winds and ZERO gobbles.Tuesday was much better weather wise and gobbling wise.wednesday and Thursday were cold starts(30's)but the birds were still lighting it up.Had to sleep in friday and debating whether Jacob and I are heading out in the rain today(Sat).Ive been into birds everyday but Monday having a gobbler within 10 yds on both Tuesday and Thursday but both coming in at a hard angle to my left with me left with nothing to do but watch.After Saturdays rain forecast is calling for clear sunny days so we will see what that brings.

As far as the Monday opener I love it! Gives you a week in the woods before the weekend warriors get out.I havent missed an opener since i've been able to drive myself.It may have only been for an hour or so but i've always gone.

I'll keep you posted on the happenings.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

gophert

Shoot the big one...good luck

Sent from my typewriter

jakesdad

Well we headed out in a light rain with the radar showing just showers. After a while we could hear rumbles of thunder and a darkening SW sky,so I checked the radar on my phone...........yellows and reds headed our way.About the time we made the decision we got our first close clap of thunder and a lightning flash which sealed the deal.NOT sitting in a blind in a field while its lightning!!!! So our Saturday hunt lasted less than an hour but jacob said he didnt mind,cant control the weather.Glad he's got a good attitude about it,better than mine sometimes! We'll see what tomorrow brings before Sunday school.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

pullit

Getting hit by lighting would kinda screw up the hunt for sure,
Hope you have better weather and kill a big one

jakesdad

Its been rough,real rough. No lack of birds just lack of cooperation on finishing right.Of the 6 days ive hunted so far i've had birds work everyday but monday and saturday,the crappy weather days.3 of those days birds where within shooting range just came in at odd angles or totally unexpected places and left me with nothing to do but watch. Its been frustrating but no one said it was supposed to be easy!