turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Chokes

Started by SP-10 Fan, April 22, 2015, 01:26:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP-10 Fan

I haven't scoured the board or done a search for Indian Creek chokes, but of the posts I have read I don't recall anyone mentioning they had, or, had and used and Indian Creek choke.  I'm sure I missed some posts where guys are using IC, but I see the other custom choke makers a whole lot more.  Has IC fallen in disfavor?  Are they still in business (I didn't think of that till just now)?

mikejd

You definetly havnt looked much. Their are probably more people using IC then any other.

SP-10 Fan

I figured it was just me.  Now I have confirmation.

mikejd

Yes they are still great chokes.

SP-10 Fan

I've got 3 different Rhino chokes for my SP-10.  Other than with the Federal FC HW (I shoot it through an un-ported Rhino choke), the IC shoots a better pattern than all of them.  I have finally tuned a very nice load using STEEL and TSS.  It throws a tighter pattern than anything other than Nitro Ammo.  I guess Ray has some years and experience on me  :agreed:.

Old Gobbler

The IC is a high performing choke and was innovative when it became popular 8 years ago when the 12 gauge versions started to win the Nwtf shoots with 3 inch circles at 40 with h13 loads ,throughout the years there has been some ugly public situations where people have blown up IC chokes with magblends , federal fc , and one MADD choke the predecessor to the IC choke , that used the similar birdcage port design blew up with nitros - since then the choke material has been beefed up with a stronger ss material , IC chokes with older packaging will sometimes not mention flightcontrol wads , but on ic's website they specifically mention NOT to shoot flight control wads

Since then they have introduced many more chokes in 20 gauge , and 10 - the 10 is a good design , but I will never shoot one , for the above mentioned reason(s) but people have mentioned fabulous performance shooting the IC chokes , I would be interested in a non ported version similar to what some of the IC folks use at the Nwtf still shoots , but my gun already shoots ridiculously well , it could probably shoot well ....well...beyond what I would ever dream of squeezing a trigger on , so it's just overkill for me

With the ever changing turkey load and choke combinations it is important to verify the safety compatibility with the ammo and choke builder , this is so important

The most consistent all around choke I've ever owned for my sp10  that shot most loads well and some outstanding was a rhino .685 that I've owned for 16 years now , it shoots the nitro h210 straight 7's ( not the triplex hevi ) at a 380 !   It shoots the federal #7 at 180 , it shoots the h13 #5 at 160 , it shoots the nitro 2.25 ounce straight #5 at 180 - it may not shoot all loads the very best , but it shoots most very good -

With that said .....I shoot the kicks and federal hw combo that produces a 219 , just because I bought up 2 cases of the ammo and said to the heck with it , I'm done shopping around for ammo and chokes each year , I'll just stick with this combo and be done with it - I would be totally shocked if I live long enough to burn through that much ammo shooting at 2 bird a year Florida Osceolas
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

SP-10 Fan

My IC choke never comes off of my SP-10 anymore.  It has consistently patterned better that any of the other high-end chokes and even some more affordable chokes that I tried.  I have a custom portless  Rhino Choke that I had made just for shooting the Federal FC HW #6 shells.  But, this IC choke absolutely obliterates the target with Nitro #4 Hevi Shot.  I could happily shoot that combination for the rest of my life if for some reason I was unable to load my own TSS shells.  The IC choke runs rings around the other chokes I have when shooting my handloads.  I'm considering getting another IC choke in the event I damage the one I have now.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: SP-10 Fan on April 28, 2015, 10:12:46 AM
My IC choke never comes off of my SP-10 anymore.  It has consistently patterned better that any of the other high-end chokes and even some more affordable chokes that I tried.  I have a custom portless  Rhino Choke that I had made just for shooting the Federal FC HW #6 shells.  But, this IC choke absolutely obliterates the target with Nitro #4 Hevi Shot.  I could happily shoot that combination for the rest of my life if for some reason I was unable to load my own TSS shells.  The IC choke runs rings around the other chokes I have when shooting my handloads.  I'm considering getting another IC choke in the event I damage the one I have now.
I would purchase  that extra choke at the soonest opportunity , typically 10 ga choke runs are infrequent and made in small batches and there is not telling when the next available chance to get one will arise
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

SP-10 Fan

Thanks for the heads up.  I have seen a marked decrease in the quantity of everything that has to do with the Big 10.  I broke my charging handle.  It sheared right off even with the ejection port.  Fixing it was no problem.  Finding a charging handle was.  Remington does not manufacture the SP-10 charging handle any longer.  I located a local gunsmith who had ONE.  I bought it and replaced the broken one.  I also found a gunshop in Paducah, KY that carried a lot of shot gun parts.  They had ONE SP-10 charging handle.  I bought that as well.  Now I have an extra.  I'm thinking about buying up as many spare parts as I can find.  I love my gun and it would kill me if I couldn't use it because all the spare parts were gone.