OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rio Patterns

Started by Txag12, April 20, 2015, 10:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txag12

I started a different thread but think I may get a better response if I reword my question. When it comes to patterning new birds, rios in this instance, how do y'all approach doing so while the season is already going?

Second, what locations should I be looking for when patterning, and what type of areas do you normally find rios using for strut zones, feeding areas, loafing, etc? These birds are in a thicker wooded environment than one would normally think for rio country (I'm use to western tx and okla) which has me pretty lost as they seem a lot different than rios I'm use to. I'm thrown off as they seem to stick in pretty thick cover/woods, almost to the point that I feel like the woods I've seen them using I would normally write off as being too overgrown.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully with a little luck I can bring this big bird down. I had him at 60 the other day but wasn't comfortable as it's a little far, again at 80 with hens he was with mid morning but they wouldn't let him come the extra distance, and the hens he roosted with wouldn't let him come near me when I got on them right off the roost. I'm solely hunting after this bird as I've already two took in another state this season, so I'm up for the challenge. I'm starting to think he may get the best of me though! 3 maybe 4 more days I'll have that I can get out to chase after him.