OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SS Custom???

Started by STP22, April 15, 2015, 09:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STP22

Hello, all.

Well, I decided to get a SS Custom field grade box call. I see quite a few guys here like them.
What wood combination do you prefer? I have no idea how different woods sound.
I like Poplar/Maple and Mineral Poplar/Maple based solely on looks which is not a a reason alone to choose a call.

Also, at the risk of sounding stupid...are certain wood combinations designed for a certain subspecies of turkey? I assume each subspecies has some variations in their sound. I will be hunting the Eastern.

Thank you.

Steve

West Augusta

You won't go wrong with a field grade from Al and Josh.  PM him,  call him and have him run some for you and get what you think sounds best.  They are good people.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

STP22

That's the thing, West Augusta...I don't really know what to listen for let alone decide which would be best.
I do know whatever call I get, it will take some practice to truely get the most out of a call.
Steve

paboxcall

Quote from: West Augusta on April 15, 2015, 09:56:02 PM
You won't go wrong with a field grade from Al and Josh.  PM him,  call him and have him run some for you and get what you think sounds best.  They are good people.

:agreed:

Listen for what your ear likes, and that will translate to confidence when you run it.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

STP22

I suppose there is a lot of wisdom in that statement, paboxcall. Confidence is a definite requirement.
I guess no two turkeys sound alike.
I think I'm partial to box calls. For me, they are the easiest to make decent turkey sounds when starting out. Something about the craftsmanship and feel in the hand.
Steve

mgm1955

Call Al. He'll guide you to a great box!!

Will

Check the sound file portion of the forum. I heard one made of limba and kwila short box that hunter22 had posted and within 6 weeks I had me one. I haven't put it down since. You cant go wrong with kwila and butternut.
The craftsman ship of the box I received from them is top nothch. The call is well built and looks great. Its a hunter for sure!       

STP22

Thank you, mgm1955 and Will!
Steve

KentuckyHeadhunter

Kwila butternut would be my choice for your first one from SS.  Just let the weight of the lid do all the work, don't push or force it down. You may never need another box!
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

TauntoHawk

I have 3 of Al's short boxes and I'll probably get a few more next year.

Kwila over black limba. Mid-high front end that drops into chatty rasp. Great pop in the clucks and cuts

Paduak over mineral poplar - a very light weight call because of wood this is the best out of the bunch at toning down quite and will do soft tree yelps and clucks better than any of my boxes. Can get loud as well and has a very pronounced two note yelp that's all turkey with excited higher pitched cuts.

Yellowheart over mineral poplar - high pitched clear front and nasty rasp on the finish, this is the loudest most aggressive sounding out of the trio and makes a good locator box it packs a ton of volume for a short box.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

turkey stew

All my SSCustom short boxes run easy and are all turkey. You can run it loud or soft and get several different yelps out of her. The boxes cut, cluck and purr with ease. The caller also produces a good gobble. Give Al a call and he can make any combo work for you.

Full strut

My vote goes to butternut kawila, but I am biased. Only SS box I own, but it is a good one!

kjnengr

I bought my first custom box call from Al this February.  I called him on the phone to discuss which wood to choose.  Like you STP22, I really don't have a preference as of yet for sound.  Al told me that his favorite was the kwila/butternut.  From the positive reviews and sound files on this site, I decided to go with Al's suggestion.  I received it within a few weeks and was certainly pleased.  It is capable of make all kinds of turkey sounds and can belt out some loud yelps and cuts with the right pressure.  I will probably buy another for my dad before too long.

drum817

I own seven SS box calls and they are all GREATsounding calls!!!  I have a butternut / kwila call that I hunt with most of the time.  Al would be GLAD to talk with you ... Just give him a call.
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

STP22

Thank you, all!
I will give him a call.
Steve