turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

need some advice

Started by 101st501, April 14, 2015, 02:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

101st501

I have been hunting on my local WMA religiously this year.  I heard a bird this morning down in what sounds like the corner of a field.  He was just across the creek from me.  He was gobbling fairly steady so I ease in the woods and call and he answers me twice.  I sit down and get comfortable and then he goes nearly silent.  He is only gobbling now once every 20 minutes.  You can almost set your watch by him, and he would not shock gobble to other noises and other birds and such.  I have talked to two other hunters over the course of the past couple of weeks who have made mention of a bird in that area.  I waited as long as I could this morning but had to go for time constraints.  I was very sparing with my calls and I scratched the leaves every now and again.  I only called after he gobbled and always waited several minutes before I did.  I replied with my rendition of some purrs and clucks.  I know this is getting long, so my question is what should I do?  I plan on going back in the morning.  Should I set out some decoys in the field?  I have four different hens and a jake.  Should I try to sneak in on him while he is on the roost?  I really am not sure of the best course of action and I don't want to run him out of the area.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Greg Massey

To kill a bird like that you need time and patience. Pack you a lunch and stay the day sooner or later he is going to come and check you out.

kyturkeyhunter4

Quote from: 101st501 on April 14, 2015, 02:29:55 PM
I have been hunting on my local WMA religiously this year.  I heard a bird this morning down in what sounds like the corner of a field.  He was just across the creek from me.  He was gobbling fairly steady so I ease in the woods and call and he answers me twice.  I sit down and get comfortable and then he goes nearly silent.  He is only gobbling now once every 20 minutes.  You can almost set your watch by him, and he would not shock gobble to other noises and other birds and such.  I have talked to two other hunters over the course of the past couple of weeks who have made mention of a bird in that area.  I waited as long as I could this morning but had to go for time constraints.  I was very sparing with my calls and I scratched the leaves every now and again.  I only called after he gobbled and always waited several minutes before I did.  I replied with my rendition of some purrs and clucks.  I know this is getting long, so my question is what should I do?  I plan on going back in the morning.  Should I set out some decoys in the field?  I have four different hens and a jake.  Should I try to sneak in on him while he is on the roost?  I really am not sure of the best course of action and I don't want to run him out of the area.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I hunted a bird like that here in ky last year, and finally ended up killing him. The best thing I could tell you is get as close to the tree he is roosted in,with out busting him out. Put your decoys out where he can spot them. Just give him a couple of calls why he is in the tree and just sit and play the waiting game. It worked for me last year, Good luck.

woody328

Get on the same side of the creek he is roosting on and as close as you can without busting him. Keep your calling the same. If that doesn't work, get close and then get aggressive with your calling. I would also try him later in the morning or early in the afternoon. He might also be more receptive a bit later in the season. I would be pretty bold moving closer to him, I am always more aggressive in maneuvering on public land because you can't be sure someone else won't move in on you. If you know where he is roosting and have some woods and terrain to work with, you should be able to move in within a hundred yards of him if you get there while it's pitch black. Maybe also try approaching and setting up from a different direction if possible. Bottom line, try something different than what you are currently doing. That's the best way to learn.

g8rvet

Do you know how he left out?
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

101st501

Thanks for the advice, everyone.  I have four hens and a jake decoy that I am going to try to set out in the morning.  I have decoys but have never used them.  I know that does not make sense.  I was thinking of sitting one flat on the ground with the jake behind her and the others just milling about.  Does anyone think this will look convincing, or should I try a different approach?

kyturkeyhunter4

Quote from: 101st501 on April 14, 2015, 05:44:24 PM
Thanks for the advice, everyone.  I have four hens and a jake decoy that I am going to try to set out in the morning.  I have decoys but have never used them.  I know that does not make sense.  I was thinking of sitting one flat on the ground with the jake behind her and the others just milling about.  Does anyone think this will look convincing, or should I try a different approach?
I would just try my jake decoy and a hen out first.

Kylongspur88

Try to set up close to where he was roosted. If he liked that spot he may come back. He may not get up in the same tree, but if he likes that area he will stick close.

Cut N Run

It wouldn't surprise me if that gobbler wasn't calling from a favored strut zone and was expecting any hen he heard to come to him.  I ran into that exact same scenario you describe several years ago and it took determining exactly where he liked to strut and the best cover in range of his strut zone to set up in. A couple of days later, I slipped in there extra early so not to bust him in case he was roosted close.  It turns out he was roosted less than 50 yards from my chosen tree. It only took a few clucks to get him to waltz right in where he already wanted to be. The shot was a 22 yard slam dunk.

Good luck.  I'm looking forward to seeing you post his picture here.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Thundermtn

Quote from: Cut N Run on April 14, 2015, 07:57:32 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if that gobbler wasn't calling from a favored strut zone and was expecting any hen he heard to come to him.  I ran into that exact same scenario you describe several years ago and it took determining exactly where he liked to strut and the best cover in range of his strut zone to set up in. A couple of days later, I slipped in there extra early so not to bust him in case he was roosted close.  It turns out he was roosted less than 50 yards from my chosen tree. It only took a few clucks to get him to waltz right in where he already wanted to be. The shot was a 22 yard slam dunk.

Good luck.  I'm looking forward to seeing you post his picture here.

Jim

X2. You did the right thing with your calling. He just isn't ready to leave that zone to come to you.

To me a tom is like a trapper. First thing in the morning he gets started and checks his line set by set (strut zones where hens normally meet him). At a certain point in the season those sets quit producing hens until it gets to the point that very few of them produce and then he's willing to go check a hen that's not bright enough to go to his strut zone (you). Until then if he won't break his trap line you need to be set up coming, in, or leaving that set (strut zone)

jbrown

Great advice! One more thing, if other people know about this gobblin bird.....I would go extra early!! Most of the time less is more in callin gobblers, good luck, let us know what happens!!

CT Spur Collector

I'll bet that ole boy has a girlfriend over there. You gotta get over there closer to his area.  I would only put a hen decoy out.  She might get mad and come over there to check out her competition, she'll drag him along.

A few years back, I had the same deal. put one hen decoy out, saw her take him away from me.  He and his girl were about 200yards in the corner of the field headed to the woods.  I started real aggressive calling, got her attention.  When she saw that decoy, she made a "bee-line" right to the decoy. Drug that poor boy right with her!  Needless to say, that was the biggest mistake of his life!

Game over.

PS....don't give up on him, you got other folks that know he's there.

stinkpickle

Another vote for getting in close.  From what it sounds like, he already has some lady friends.  ;)

101st501

Thanks for all the tips.  I hope to make him famous in the morning and put his picture up here.