turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tagged out

Started by Clif Owen, April 13, 2015, 09:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clif Owen

I got up this morning to rain...lots of rain. Well, I guess I can get just a bit more sleep. It finally quit this afternoon and cleared off so I told my wife I was going to give it a try. On my way out, I studied on just where to go and decided to try an area I had chased a bird a couple of years ago. It was nearby and not a super long walk in case the weather changed again. Anyway, I walked in, set up and sat down at 5:15. I gave the woods a couple of minutes to settle and picked up the call. I thought I heard something on first yelp but thought maybe not. So, I hit the call again and he answered. I guess he was about 125 to 150 yards out. I also heard a hen and here she came. That heifer came over the hill cutting her tail off. I guess she was upset about the "new hen" on the block. She pretty much walked over me and I was sure she would bust me but got lucky. She walked within 20 feet and turned left and went out of sight. By now, I was watching him on the next ridge and finally, he followed her. When he got about 35 yards off, I dropped the hammer on him. I am really starting to like those #7's!!
I hope the pics turned out clear enough. I'm not sure yet about the beard. It had 1 hair over 11" reaching 11 1/4.
Score: weight-19
beard: 11.25
right spur--1"
left spur--1'
Score--61.5

Clif Owen

More pics.

I really can't claim to have called him in. I think that hen led him to his demise. But, i'll take him! I think this one might help the team score.

Maybe I'll get the chance to go out of state.

BOFF

Woohoo!!

Way to go Cliff!!

Great Bird!!

God Bless,
David B.

hookedspur

Congrats on your season Clif..
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

NJGobblerHunter

Clif Owen

I think I forgot to say that after I shot, picked up the bird and carried him back to where I was sitting I looked at my clock. It was 5:30. So, on the 2 hunts I had success on, the hunting time was about 30 minutes total.

Unfortunately, all the other hunts added a bunch of hours to that total. Oh well..I'm addicted to the sport anyway. I wouldn't trade that time for anything.

anthonyjhallen

Congrats. Gotta love those quickies!!