Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Need Advice about inconsistent patterns with 870 & 21" barrel

Started by nyhunter, April 13, 2015, 04:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyhunter

Well i got a new 21" barrel for my 870 , I polished it friday and got out to pattern it sunday. using the sumtoy 562-5, 3" Fed HW #7.   I feel my numbers aren't very consistent . what are you guys running this same combo getting from 1 shot to the next as far as numbers in the 10 at 40.  Patterns were very even
here's what i got . These were all the same lot number also

1) 157
2) 117
3) 107
4) 138

Greg Massey

After polishing the barrel did you dry the barrel or leave it oily?

gophert

It is something that can happen with factory shells but you don't tend to see it as much within the same lot#.  Not sure if you did this or not, but I run a dry bore snake 3X between shots so I know the conditions are consistent.  Perhaps your gun just likes a real clean barrel. 

Greg Massey

I don't care for polishing the barrel on turkey guns. Try running about 10 or 12 cheap shells thru the gun then wipe the barrel out and try it again with a turkey load for pattern. Leave the barrel dry.

nyhunter

after polishing the barrel i deep cleaned it then used denatured alcohol and then dry patches. I did not clean or boresnake the barrel between shots.

Greg Massey

Was the tube ported or did you ask them for a non- ported tube. I just don't care for ported tubes.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

You need to boresnake between shots to have a consistent platform of comparison.

It is not at all surprising that your first shot had the highest numbers of the 4 in the data sample.

gophert

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 14, 2015, 03:28:03 PM
You need to boresnake between shots to have a consistent platform of comparison.

It is not at all surprising that your first shot had the highest numbers of the 4 in the data sample.

Yep this^^^^  Sounds like your gun doesn't like to be dirty.  157 is smoking!

nyhunter