turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to hunt turkeys without becoming deaf

Started by bszweda, April 12, 2015, 04:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bszweda

I am fairly new to turkey hunting and love it, but pulling the trigger hurts like no other. Think of the scene from saving private Ryan when the tiger tank shoots the building next to Tom Hanks and knocks him over. Can anyone share their setup/system they use to protect their hearing when shooting? I have a Mossberg 535 turkey thug with the ported choke and it seriously hurts my ears whenever I shoot. I've only taken two unprotected shots and I've had enough. Anyone recommend what to do? I am looking into electronic muffs, but I am not sure how well those work and if I'll be able to hear what direction noises are coming from. I am also thinking about getting rid of the shotgun all together and getting a crossbow.

Thanks,
Brad

Ihuntoldschool

I use hearing protection when target shooting, the sound of the gun going off when I shoot a turkey is the last thing I am concerned about.   You might try an unported choke, a longer barrel, a smaller gauge, or a lighter payload shotshell if it bothers you.

Thundermtn

Ear protection headphones with stereo work very well. Turn them up and you can hear bugs in the leaves and still be able to pin point a distant gobble location with ease. When the gun goes off its shuts off so quick that it works the same a regular set of ear muffs.

Get an unported choke to reduce blast as well. If you really want to go overkill wear a set of 20+foam in ear and run a set of the ones I mentioned above as well and turn them up enough to over come the in ear foam to anormal level of in ear volume and a 12g barely makes a pop.

rickyb

I have chronic tinnitus from not warring ear plugs. I have a set of electronic ear plugs that I put on when a gobnler is coming in. No turkey is worth your hearing.  This is what works for me. Rick

bszweda

Any one recommend electronic muffs? My budget is up to 500 dollars. I was thinking of going with Howard leights or elite power quads. I want something that is water resistant and won't be easily lost.I feel like the ear plug muffs could be fairly easily lost.

gobblerman87

Yes ported chokes can significantly increase your shot noise but you don't have to spend that kind of money simply a good high decibal pair of ear plugs or some quality muffs should greatly reduce the sound and make it manageable if the kicks hurts consider a lighter load as mentioned above

Thundermtn

Quote from: bszweda on April 12, 2015, 10:03:15 PM
Any one recommend electronic muffs? My budget is up to 500 dollars. I was thinking of going with Howard leights or elite power quads. I want something that is water resistant and won't be easily lost.I feel like the ear plug muffs could be fairly easily lost.

That's what i was talking about. I got a set a b.p. for $120 that were great but not waterproof.

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Thundermtn

Quote from: silvestris on April 13, 2015, 09:00:25 AM
Quote from: rickyb on April 12, 2015, 06:08:20 PM
No turkey is worth your hearing.

That is debatable.

lol. The amount I lost to top fuel dragsters and 150 watt full stack guitar amplifiers was worth it, been trying to save what I have left though.

woody328

Howard Leight makes very good quality affordable ones. I'd start there.

JLH

Get a quality crossbow....(the excalibur mico)

You have pin point accuracy to 30 yds (easily).....plus you can extend your deer season.

rutnut245

I've been shooting sporting clays for many years and Imho Pro Ears are the best muff you can get. I've tried them all.

slwayne

Quote from: woody328 on April 13, 2015, 02:45:39 PM

Howard Leight makes very good quality affordable ones. I'd start there.

x2.  Love my Howard Leights

howl

A 28" barrel, non-ported choke, and standard velocity shell is whole 'nother ball game than a high velocity, short, ported fire breather. Mine doesn't even ring my ears. I do wear ears for practically everything else, though.

WAGinVA

Look into ESP or EAR in the ear devices.  Expensive but well worth the cost.  If you get them before you loose your hearing you will be light years ahead, If you wait (like I did) they will help tremendously with hearing loss AND protect what hearing you have left.