OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Storing a shotgun with shells in the magazine.

Started by deerbasshunter3, April 12, 2015, 12:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Since my 2015 turkey season is now over, I cleaned my shotgun and replaced the turkey choke with the Remington modified choke that came with it. Will it hurt anything to store my shotgun with shells in the magazine, in case I should have to use it on an intruder?

Twowithone

Not a good idea at all. You expecting trouble or something if you are notify the police but don't leave a firearm loaded period. :OGturkeyhead:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

10gaugemag

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on April 12, 2015, 12:07:40 PM
Since my 2015 turkey season is now over, I cleaned my shotgun and replaced the turkey choke with the Remington modified choke that came with it. Will it hurt anything to store my shotgun with shells in the magazine, in case I should have to use it on an intruder?
Not a good idea, compressing the magazine spring for long periods of time will weaken it. All of my guns are stored empty and dry fired, no springs have any tension left on them when stored.

eddie234

Here's my home defense shotgun. It's a tricked out Winchester 1300. I keep six rounds in the tube. Store it in my closet in a silicon gun sock.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Twowithone on April 12, 2015, 12:22:03 PM
Not a good idea at all. You expecting trouble or something if you are notify the police but don't leave a firearm loaded period. :OGturkeyhead:

I am not expecting any trouble, but then again, nobody ever is until something happens. I just like to be prepared.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on April 12, 2015, 01:14:13 PM

I am not expecting any trouble, but then again, nobody ever is until something happens. I just like to be prepared.

Springs can be replaced and should be if left compressed for long periods of time. The same is true of springs in magazines for pistols. I've seen tests done of spring compression, such as storing a .45 magazine fully loaded for extended periods of time. In reality the cost of springs is just a cost of doing business.

If when you do replace springs, it's advisable to get the best ones available. There are quality differences just as in any other product.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Tracker760

Quote from: eddie234 on April 12, 2015, 01:07:46 PM
Here's my home defense shotgun. It's a tricked out Winchester 1300. I keep six rounds in the tube. Store it in my closet in a silicon gun sock.

Good luck trying to get that thing out of a sock while someone is kicking your door down. Just saying.

10gaugemag

Quote from: Tracker760 on April 12, 2015, 02:03:25 PM

Good luck trying to get that thing out of a sock while someone is kicking your door down. Just saying.
I am sure with 6 in the tube the ones in the stock wont be needed.

ridgerunner

LOL...this is laughable..notify Police....not sure about him...but I live 30 minutes from any police response I'd be dead waiting on the Police....I'll defend myself thanks!

deerbasshunter3

Also, I do not want to leave it loaded, just with a few shells in the magazine.

Tracker760

Quote from: 10gaugemag on April 12, 2015, 03:24:53 PM

"Sock" not "stock".
Either way nothing will do you good if you can't put it in action NOW. That's like having a trigger lock on your CC piece.
Hold on MR. Bad guy my "sock" is hung up on this pistol grip, wait, wait, oops now the cotton picking reflex is stuck. Now if I can get it over this dang flashlight, I'm going to blind you then shoot you.

The sling on a home defence gun really cracks me up. Useless!
I'd rather have a dog.

10gaugemag

Quote from: Tracker760 on April 12, 2015, 05:25:12 PM
Quote from: 10gaugemag on April 12, 2015, 03:24:53 PM

"Sock" not "stock".
Either way nothing will do you good if you can't put it in action NOW. That's like having a trigger lock on your CC piece.
Hold on MR. Bad guy my "sock" is hung up on this pistol grip, wait, wait, oops now the cotton picking reflex is stuck. Now if I can get it over this dang flashlight, I'm going to blind you then shoot you.

The sling on a home defence gun really cracks me up. Useless!
I'd rather have a dog.
My bad!!

Snoodsniper

I say go for it. Just get a Mossberg loc-box or a shotlock to keep it handy and safe. Maybe buy a spare spring. They're inexpensive and easy to replace.

eddie234

Thank goodness I'm a police officer and I have my duty weapon close by and a police car in the drive way. I'm sure I won't have much trouble getting to it by the time they get to the second floor. Just sayin

outdoorsmen

Quote from: eddie234 on April 12, 2015, 09:15:34 PM

With the huge magnifying glass that cops now work under I'm glad I stood in the other line.

Thank goodness I'm a police officer and I have my duty weapon close by and a police car in the drive way. I'm sure I won't have much trouble getting to it by the time they get to the second floor. Just sayin