News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mushrooms

Started by 10gaugemag, April 12, 2015, 09:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyturkeyhunter4

Quote from: 10gaugemag on April 12, 2015, 09:28:09 AM
Got out and found a few of these little guys while scouting yesterday. Anybody having much luck with finding them yet?
I found some out scouting turkey yesterday, I'm in ky my hunting buddy loves them.

snapper1982

Why do you guys pick the small ones before they mature and are bigger?

Ericbrooks

Quote from: snapper1982 on April 12, 2015, 08:24:37 PM
They are as big as they are gonna get. They don't "grow", when they unfold out of the ground that's as big as they will ever be

Chilly

We found 21 black ones today in central ky.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

Gooserbat

Quote from: Ericbrooks on April 12, 2015, 09:00:58 PM

They are as big as they are gonna get. They don't "grow", when they unfold out of the ground that's as big as they will ever be

Wrong.  Morels do grow because for starters they dont unfold. I've allowed them to grow if they are in a "safe" patch, where I know they won't get picked. For some good shroom info get a copy of the Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms. 

There are several varieties of morels, gray or thimble caps, which are smaller, white also called yellow, which are the larger variety and black which are regarded as having the most robust flavor.  Also are what's called half morels. Then there are the false morels which imho are even better eating. Those are rusty red and are not hollow. 

These are mostly white morels but there are some thimble caps in the mix.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 12, 2015, 11:58:58 PM
Then there are the false morels which imho are even better eating. Those are rusty red and are not hollow. 
The false morels are risky though.  They contain varying amounts of the toxin gyromitrin. Nasty stuff. I know some people cook them and eat them without problem, but others get very sick.

http://thegreatmorel.com/falsemorel.html

Gooserbat

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on April 13, 2015, 02:23:57 AM
Quote from: Gooserbat on April 12, 2015, 11:58:58 PM
Then there are the false morels which imho are even better eating. Those are rusty red and are not hollow. 
The false morels are risky though.  They contain varying amounts of the toxin gyromitrin. Nasty stuff. I know some people cook them and eat them without problem, but others get very sick.

http://thegreatmorel.com/falsemorel.html
I do rat them cooked and in conservative amounts.  Actually morels make me a little queezy if I eat to many.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

10gaugemag

Those little greys dont get very big and if you leave them on our property either the neighbor gets to them or other mushroom eating critters. The larger varieties will be up shortly as they pop later in this part of the world.

snapper1982

You are absolutely wrong. Morels do grow. Do you really think a 12-15 inch mushroom just pops out of the ground in less than a second?

Here this is on YouTube and should help you out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6JurrfK_wQI

snapper1982

Quote from: 10gaugemag on April 13, 2015, 08:23:07 AM
Those little greys dont get very big and if you leave them on our property either the neighbor gets to them or other mushroom eating critters. The larger varieties will be up shortly as they pop later in this part of the world.

I have watched little 1 inch greys turn into 6 inch over night. I guess it makes sense to me to let them mature as I sell them.

10gaugemag

Quote from: snapper1982 on April 13, 2015, 11:22:03 AM

You are absolutely wrong. Morels do grow. Do you really think a 12-15 inch mushroom just pops out of the ground in less than a second?

Here this is on YouTube and should help you out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6JurrfK_wQI
Saw what we call a "yellow or white" in that video but no little greys. May leave a few and see if they grow over 2 or 3" or dry out first.

snapper1982

Cover them with leaves.

Ericbrooks

I have always been told they don't grow! Looks like maybe they do. Guess I was wrong on that. ????

callmakerman

I usually find them around mothers day weekend in NY

Snoodsniper

Anyone hunt morels in North East PA?