OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2015 Weatherby SA-459 Review/Patterns

Started by gophert, April 12, 2015, 08:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckaholic25

Can someone tell me where I can get this gun. I have searched far and wide.

Nightfallatdawn

I found one at a local gun shop. Last one and the guy said he couldn't find any more anywhere.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Fullfan

From that last pic I was wondering how you turn your camera on ?
Don't gobble at me...

OldSwamper

Codym,
I am a lefty and shoot this gun.  I contacted Weatherby about switching the safety to the other side, and they can do it only if you send the gun back to them for about $60 or so.  I told them I had two young right-handed children that might want to turkey hunt one day and asked if they would simply sell me a trigger assembly for a lefty so I could easily switch them out.  They can also do that to the tune of $210.  Hope this helps.

I smoked one this past weekend with the SA459 and it is amazing how fast you can get back on the bird from the recoil versus a 12ga.  Lucky for the 2nd bird still standing there that I was solo, and NC does not allow 2 birds in 1 day....

codym

Reloader

Couple more pattern pics with the 459:

Both were shot with 19g/cc #9.5

g8rvet

35 steps.  2 year old. 5 days left in the season!   2 outs, bottom of the ninth the Weatherby comes through!  4 for 4!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

DrDirtNap

Here's a KY double from two SA-459s and TSS 9s.

Nightfallatdawn

Quote from: Fullfan on April 07, 2017, 08:02:25 AM
Just press the button on the camera to start recording.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

spurman

OHHH, I want one, but so hard to find. Been looking for months and on several watch lists. Only 2 weeks left for spring turkey.
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Fullfan

Quote from: Nightfallatdawn on April 21, 2017, 12:58:12 AM
Quote from: Fullfan on April 07, 2017, 08:02:25 AM
Just press the button on the camera to start recording.

Ten 4. I bought a 4.0. Have been getting some great footage with 4 birds dying on video. Wish I would have had one 30 years ago.
Don't gobble at me...

yelpaholic

Love the guns an tss 9s harvested 4 with the combo this year.
question? for you guys that shoot em.  Mine only shot 250 with a carlsons 575 with the big 20 xl .
and only shot 190 with the sumtoy 562..  where did i go wrong.  everyone else had way better numbers than that.  still killed everyone i shot at just curious about the numbers..

FL-Boss

Those numbers are when you shoot the #9?  I would think 250 ish is about right.
For reference - I shoot Fed #7, 3in 20ga, and highest I seen is about 180 - with the Carlson .575
For actually hunting, I personally like to see about 135 in the 10in @ 40yards. I will be trying a .585 Carlson soon.

I should also add, the older model SA-459 ( non vent rib) which I also had in the past seems to shoot a little higher numbers.  But who knows, that could have been the result of better Federal lot numbers back then...

yelpaholic

yes those numbers were all with the tss 9's.

cutt down

Quote from: yelpaholic on May 04, 2017, 12:27:42 PM
Love the guns an tss 9s harvested 4 with the combo this year.
question? for you guys that shoot em.  Mine only shot 250 with a carlsons 575 with the big 20 xl .
and only shot 190 with the sumtoy 562..  where did i go wrong.  everyone else had way better numbers than that.  still killed everyone i shot at just curious about the numbers..

For hunting I'd prefer a 250/250 pattern or maybe 300/200! If you're putting 250 in the 10 then nothing should be able to get through that.