turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Oklahoma WMA info wanted

Started by mossyoak, March 08, 2012, 12:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossyoak

Has anyone turkey hunted on Sandy Sanders WMA in southwest Oklahoma? What about Black Kettle WMA? Looking for information on turkey population in these areas.

Gamblinman

Decent turkey population on both. I recommend hunting them during the weekday. Opening weekend will be hunters everywhere, but after the first couple of weekends, traffic slows considerably. Sanday Sanders is one large piece of property while the grasslands are broken up. That's about all I know. I haven't hunted either in many years.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

runngun

Black Kettle would be my pick, has a lot of turkeys but it can get hammered on the weekends. I would hunt during the week, if possible.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Rob Robertson

I have hunted Black Kettle and Pack Saddle MANY Times.  Shot some good Toms off Both.  It wont be like hunting any place You have ever hunted before.  Shinery Oaks make Turkeys hard to find and hard to see.   You can expect 25mph or more Wind Everyday of the season.  Good Luck.

Gooserbat

I've never hunted Sandy Sanders but I have Hunted Black Kettel several times.  Opening day is something to behold...from a distance.  I to would try week day hunts and it is for a large part open so if you could have seen them they already saw you. 

Also bring a thermacell or 100% deet for the buffalo gnats.  If you set up out of the wind they will find you.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

bird

The first couple weeks of the season you will see plates from all over the country at Black Kettle and Pack Saddle.  If I ever go there again it will most definaty be mid to late season.

Gooserbat

Quote from: bird on March 08, 2012, 01:17:14 PM
The first couple weeks of the season you will see plates from all over the country at Black Kettle and Pack Saddle.  If I ever go there again it will most definaty be mid to late season.

Black Kettle is to Rio hunting what Mark Twain National Forest is to Easterns or The Black Hills To Merrrirms
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mossyoak

I appreciate all the info. Thanks.

K9Doc

Black Kettle turkey numbers are way down due to severe drought over the last 3 years.  I have hunted there 6 years running, and not planning a return anytime soon.  It was very poor last year.  And yes, the crowds are gonna be there.  You better call ahead to reserve a hotel room and take plenty of food, cause the towns dont have much as for eating out.
Talked to a outfitter there this week and he was depressed over the lack of rainfall.  He actually said, "If we have another year of drought, many of the people here are considering leaving"!!!  Cant make a living running cows or growing wheat without water. 
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

aaron.haverfield@gmail.co

Well that makes me want to second guess my trip out there this weekend. I was really opening to go on a turkey trip since I have a few days off. Already informed every one I was headed to Oklahoma for the next 4 days, hate to back out now. Any other recommendations? Hate to spend $500 to $600 on a trip not to see any birds.

sasquatch1

Black kettle has birds but more ppl than you could imagine! I would Go a little more north to fort supply/cooper if I was you. I hunted both if you want to pm me for info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk