turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longbeard 4's

Started by Uchee creek gobblers, April 09, 2015, 10:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dutch@fx4

the first year the long beards came out I had a mossy 535  3.5 and got great patterns out past 40 yards .anybody do any penetration test on the long bread at 40 plus yards ,.I am wondering how hard thy hit Dutch

packmule

I really really like the Longbeard 4s.  I've been a big believer in #5 lead loads for a long time but with the Longbeard pattern densities those 4s are awesome. 

Longshanks

Quote from: Uchee creek gobblers on April 09, 2015, 08:50:47 PM
My wife shoots the hw7s and I really like them. She's killed two birds with them. Now I'm not saying I'm the greatest shot in the world by no means but I had a bird come in and was shooting longbeard 6's I guessed him around 40, shot the bird rolled him up, jumped up to go get him he got up and haven't seen him since! By no means am I blaming the shell or equipment but that's the first time it's ever happened to me in 15 years and was also the first #6 come out of my gun! Stepped him off at 41 steps! Just surprised me more than anything!

I've gone back to Hevi 13 to shoot more open patterns for hunting.  I have shot some awesome patterns with Win LB 3" 5's and 6's. It doesn't take much to get off the turkey and hit him with the edge of the pattern. Next time you get a chance to shoot off a good rest, measure and move your barrel over a half an inch and shoot the gun. Moving the barrel a half an inch in a hunting situation is easy to do. Win LB's allow very little room for error. I hunt allot with a Beretta/Urika 2/ Pure Gold .670. Doesn't turn the highest numbers at 40 (140's Hevi 13 3" 6's, 200 with Hevi 13 3" 7's) but it's ideal for hunting shooting double beads. Actually hunting a good bit with Win XX 3" 6's (180's in a 12" @ 40) Hard to miss.

foxred1962

So far I agree with Longshanks the #4's are almost too tight... I am ordering a scope now because I wasnt perfect on Saturday and didn't hit a coyote with the core of the pattern and it got away and my dad missed a gobbler clean at 40 today with them. We have a 16-18" pattern @ 40 yds max... It's a great looking load on paper when no pressure is on lol !!! But in the field you better be right on which is tough   to do when your heart is under the ultimate stress test !!!!

VanHelden Game Calls

Try a regular full choke.  I did not count numbers yet as I tried it for kicks, but a winchester 1300 with a regular full choke surprised me with the patterns it threw with the LB.  I think people will find it ofers that little more open pattern.

I am going to be playing with this in the upcoming week.

10gaugemag

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on April 13, 2015, 12:25:52 PM
Try a regular full choke.  I did not count numbers yet as I tried it for kicks, but a winchester 1300 with a regular full choke surprised me with the patterns it threw with the LB.  I think people will find it ofers that little more open pattern.

Regular full in my Inv+ only put 77 in the 10. Nothing even about any of the pattern. I may try a Trulock .700 and see how it does.

darn2ten

Quote from: dutch@fx4 on April 12, 2015, 09:35:25 AM
the first year the long beards came out I had a mossy 535  3.5 and got great patterns out past 40 yards .anybody do any penetration test on the long bread at 40 plus yards ,.I am wondering how hard thy hit Dutch
I did a test with a soup can last year. Shot both the 5 and 6 LB's at 40. All of the 5's that hit the can fully penetrated both sides. With the 6's all penetrated the front side and about 1/3 of the pellets blew through the back of the can while the rest dented it pretty good. Plenty of penetration to cleanly kill a turkey at 40.

VanHelden Game Calls

Quote from: 10gaugemag on April 13, 2015, 12:47:27 PM

Regular full in my Inv+ only put 77 in the 10. Nothing even about any of the pattern. I may try a Trulock .700 and see how it does.

Well I still have to test it for my own peace of mind.  I use a Remington xtended choke now with very nice results.  Just thinking out loud after my what the heck shot the other day and reading how some say LB's are to tight.

10gaugemag

Quote from: VanHelden Game Calls on April 14, 2015, 03:31:45 PM
Quote from: 10gaugemag on April 13, 2015, 12:47:27 PM

Well I still have to test it for my own peace of mind.  I use a Remington xtended choke now with very nice results.  Just thinking out loud after my what the heck shot the other day and reading how some say LB's are to tight.
Only way to do it, shoot em and see.

Browning85

I have an 1187 and shoot a indian creek. I shot LB #6 out of it with 224 in 10" circle. The #4 were 146 in 10" circle. Those were 3.5" shells. I just got a box of 5's but didn't get a chance to pattern them yet.

foxred1962

I got 141 with an 870 from a primos titewad in the 3" #4 in a 10" circle. I have been impressed as can be with that $20 choke from Walmart.

yella yelper

Quote from: foxred1962 on April 14, 2015, 06:07:20 PM
I got 141 with an 870 from a primos titewad in the 3" #4 in a 10" circle. I have been impressed as can be with that $20 choke from Walmart.
That's impressive! I got 130 with 3.5" #4's out of my tightwad

Gooserbat

Trust me you can trust #6 Longbeards at 40 yards with some wiggle room.  I've killed over 50 birds with #6 and not all of them was at 25 yards.  I'll take paterm density every time.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

nickp

Shot this one out of a 28" 870 3.5" at 40 yards with the LB #4's and Jellyhead .665.  They will thump em, but very tight.  The 5's I got 185 in the 10.  Both will thump but are super tight.  Out of my old Wingmaster 3" with a 30" fixed full the 4's will cleanly kill out to 50+.  At that distance they had between 10-15 in the kill zone over 3 shots.  Didn't count the 10 but was a pretty pattern.  May just need a more open choke like the Undertaker.  It gives me another 4" spread all the way around at 40 and puts enough to kill at farther than I care to try a shot.  That is with the 4's and 5's.  Shot a squirrel with the 3" LB #6 out of the same gun and undertaker at 57 steps (around 58-59 yards for me) and all pellets were bedded under the skin on the other side of the squirrel (18 of them).  Dropped him big time.  I just like looking at those bigger holes on paper.  All of that being said, the 1187's tend to pattern different than the 870's from what I have seen (lower numbers).  40 yards is no issue for the LB 6's penetration wise.

CrustyRusty

What kind of soup? :OGturkeyhead:

[/quote]
I did a test with a soup can last year. Shot both the 5 and 6 LB's at 40. All of the 5's that hit the can fully penetrated both sides. With the 6's all penetrated the front side and about 1/3 of the pellets blew through the back of the can while the rest dented it pretty good. Plenty of penetration to cleanly kill a turkey at 40.
[/quote]