OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeard 4's

Started by Uchee creek gobblers, April 09, 2015, 10:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uchee creek gobblers

Anybody shooting the longbeards 4s through an Indian creek .665 out of a remington 1187? Just don't like the 6s I guess I'm just old school. I also have a Sumtoy .650 and a jelly head .665! Just looking for some input!
ALABAMA NOGGIN' KNOCKER

10gaugemag

Try 5's if you don't like the 6's. Bet with #4's you will have near 90% in a 10-12" circle at 40 yards with those tighter chokes, not much wiggle room.

Uchee creek gobblers

Okay I'll try the 5's just can't make myself go to the 6's
ALABAMA NOGGIN' KNOCKER

10gaugemag

I have killed a lot of turkeys since 88 with 4's a few with 5's and this year I am switching to 6's, pound that head with them and he will be just as dead.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Uchee creek gobblers on April 09, 2015, 10:07:50 AM
Anybody shooting the longbeards 4s through an Indian creek .665 out of a remington 1187? Just don't like the 6s I guess I'm just old school. I also have a Sumtoy .650 and a jelly head .665! Just looking for some input!

You might find this to be helpful http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=724

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

bbcoach

Do some research on here concerning the 6's and I think you'll change your mind.  The 6's put up a denser pattern and have plenty of energy for clean kills, with the right choke, at 40.  I'm old school as well but TSS 9's, Hevi 7's and LB's 6's have changed my mindset.

Uchee creek gobblers

My wife shoots the hw7s and I really like them. She's killed two birds with them. Now I'm not saying I'm the greatest shot in the world by no means but I had a bird come in and was shooting longbeard 6's I guessed him around 40, shot the bird rolled him up, jumped up to go get him he got up and haven't seen him since! By no means am I blaming the shell or equipment but that's the first time it's ever happened to me in 15 years and was also the first #6 come out of my gun! Stepped him off at 41 steps! Just surprised me more than anything!
ALABAMA NOGGIN' KNOCKER

bbcoach

My question to you, did you pattern the 6's in your gun prior to this shot?  What were the results, if you did, and with what choke?   What is the POI/POA in that gun?   In most guns with the right choke, the 6's are putting up some great numbers at 40. 

Uchee creek gobblers

I have a Sumtoy .650 in an 1187 special purpose and I patterned it and I forget the number but I think in the 220s in the 10 inch circle. The pattern was great no doubt about that and it has the rifle sights on it and I got it perfect, shot almost a whole box thru it making sure it was as good as I can get it. Just don't know what went wrong, I was on wattles and squeezed of and I thought he was dead.
ALABAMA NOGGIN' KNOCKER

Uchee creek gobblers

Bad feeling, bout made me sick!
ALABAMA NOGGIN' KNOCKER

buck_hunter21

I haven't shot the LB 4's but have head they put up a pretty good hunting pattern. Thats interesting to hear about your experience with the 6's. I shot a bird last year in the upper 30's and it was like he was hit by a truck.
Spill Blood

bbcoach

With that info, I can't understand why you didn't pick that bird up either.  The LB's come out of the pipe at 1200 fps and with 220 in 40 that bird should have died almost instantly.  TOUGH!

taylorjones20

Quote from: Uchee creek gobblers on April 09, 2015, 08:50:47 PM
My wife shoots the hw7s and I really like them. She's killed two birds with them. Now I'm not saying I'm the greatest shot in the world by no means but I had a bird come in and was shooting longbeard 6's I guessed him around 40, shot the bird rolled him up, jumped up to go get him he got up and haven't seen him since! By no means am I blaming the shell or equipment but that's the first time it's ever happened to me in 15 years and was also the first #6 come out of my gun! Stepped him off at 41 steps! Just surprised me more than anything!

I had the same thing happen to me last season shooting the LB #6's.  He was around 35 yards and about to leave so I let him have it.  He was hit but didn't go down.  He ran and soared across a holler and I ran after him.  Finally caught up to him about 150 yards and he was standing there having trouble walking. Thankfully I was able to shoot him again at 20 yards and then I still had to kill him once I got to him.  Checked the gun and POI was still POA.  I got rid of the #6's and shot Nitros the rest of the season.  I've been using Mag Blends so far this year with great results and I have a few boxes of LB #5's.

I am not doubting that others have killed them at 40 with LB 6's but I was not happy with their killing performance out of my gun - They patterned great on paper but I sure was disappointed in them in the field...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

owlhoot

dang with a pattern like that you would think enough would have penetrated to immobilize them toms? 

Certainly was   :o      Bad Luck  ???

Oh well , live and learn i guess.

Birdyblaster

I've never been able to bring myself to trust lead 6's at 40 yards.  I'm going to shoot a couple more with my HW 7's and then might try out some LB 4's and 5's.  If you use a red dot or scope a really tight pattern isn't too much of an issue as long as the bird is standing still.