Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Well fellers...

Started by Clif Owen, April 06, 2015, 10:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clif Owen

He ain't near as big as some you guys have posted but he's mine. And I'm happy to have him right now.
Weight-18-02 or 18.125
Beard--9 inches
Right spur-0.75
Left spur--0.75
Total-51.125 (I think. Please check for me)

Clif Owen

The picture of me and the card/paper. I hope most of this stuff is legible.

hookedspur

WTG Cliff !!  Add those pictures to the measurement thread and that will put us over 400 .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

vicksburg

Nice, Clif! Congrats, bud!!!
]

BOFF

Woohoo!

Way to go Cliff!!

Congrats on a fine bird.

Story?

God Bless,
David B.

snapper1982

Clif Owen

Story??  OK!
Went to an area Saturday that we haven't hunted. We walked by a spot with a sign that says "Federal Bait Site" with a hog trap beside it. Seriously!! I looked it over carefully and didn't see any bait (I guess they let it run out) and kept walking. When we stopped to call, we heard a hen so setup for a bit. She kept going and didn't have a boyfriend. My partner had worked 2 birds Friday and they had gone in this direction.
Heard 6 birds Sunday morning. 2 were in a spot that had someone else there. I think my buddy's jake decoy cost us both a bird that morning. The 3 we worked first circled us when they evidently saw it and left. When we reset there a few minutes later (we moved on those 3), we heard another and he was coming in. I just wasn't quite close enough to shoot. He seemed to see the decoy, broke strut and LEFT!
Well, I decided to give that area a rest Monday so went to the hog trap. I walked about 400 yards past it and heard one right after daylight. I called and he answered. So, I moved into the bottom he seemed to be in. After that, not much to tell. I called a few times, heard him gobble twice more up  the bottom. Then, I changed calls because I hadn't heard him in a bit and the glass call seemed to want to squeak a bit. He gobbled about 70 yards away and slightly to my right. Then he just walked up. I had to shift a bit to shoot and he obligingly went behind a pine. I said to myself if he walked out like he walked in; he would have a problem. However, he stuck his head and neck out. In the words of Mike Pentecost "He shouldn't oughta done that. He dead!"

Sorry guys. The real story of the actual hunt wasn't too impressive. I had to tell the rest of it. That bird walking up was the first time things have all come together in awhile. I just had to tell it.

BOFF

:icon_thumright:

Glad it worked out for ya!!

May there be many more!!

God Bless,
David B.