turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Losing reed tension

Started by AnotherPAboy, April 03, 2015, 02:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherPAboy

I have been making some calls and finally found a good side tension and back tension combo that gives a great front and back end. The problem I'm having is it seems that after about 20 minutes of use the call loses its tension especially the bottom two reeds.

I guess my question is: Am I not crimping the side tension back far enough on the frame?
Has anyone else run into this before and if so what did you do the prevent losing so much tension?

It's hard for me to believe that the latex is breaking in that quick because I have calls that were made by some very popular Turkey callers that I've used for 2 years and never lost tension. I'd appreciate any feedback you guys have. Thanks.

gobbler336

What  frame are u using? Does it come with adhesive already on the frame?

AnotherPAboy

I'm using small frame from pioneer. Crowned adhesive.

TRKYHTR

Sometimes you can press too hard on the frames when crimping and it will have a tendency to relax the latex. One thing you can do is put a few pricks in the frame after you've made the call and before you have put the tape on. You can do this with an All or nail, I use a corn cob holder and it makes 2 pricks at a time.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

AnotherPAboy

Quote from: TRKYHTR on April 05, 2015, 06:58:27 PM
Sometimes you can press too hard on the frames when crimping and it will have a tendency to relax the latex. One thing you can do is put a few pricks in the frame after you've made the call and before you have put the tape on. You can do this with an All or nail, I use a corn cob holder and it makes 2 pricks at a time.

Joe

This must be what I'm doing because once I noticed it happen I started cramping it as hard as I could without damaging the frame. I'll try the nail and see if that works better. Thanks for the tip!