OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Maryland Birds

Started by longbeards, April 03, 2015, 11:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbeards

Being just retired I get to hunt 5 states this year. I have been invited to hunt the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and have no idea what to expect,,I understand it is flat land,,I will not know how to act being from the Mts of WV,,,anyone hunted the Eastern Shore that can give me a heads up?

Call them up close and shoot them I the face!! longbeards

ruination

Saw my first turkey's yesterday heard my first gobbles on Monday.  We have lots more than just flat land any idea where you will be hunting?
.410 Favors the Bold

mmusso

Not to hijack, but I just moved up to Bel Air a few months back, and I have no clue where to hunt in MD and no access to land. Could anyone please shoot me a PM with any ideas/suggestions about public land in MD?
Thanks,
Matt

CMBOSTC

I went out for a scout yesterday. The Gobblers were definitely fired up. Located 5, saw one and the hen that I believe that he just bred. Next weekend should be good. Forecast is calling for rain which will hopefully keep others out of the woods.

Chris
Gobble, Gobble... "BOOM"! 

Rick Howard

I have never hunted Maryland so I have no speceific advise.  However, I hunt some areas which are very flat, thick cover, and sometimes swampy.  A good tree to lean on is not common enough to count on, so I bring chair with a back on it for hunting there.

Will

Youth day this past Saturday found my boys and I within 100 or so yards of two birds. Hammering hard on the roost to my yelper however when the feet hit the dirt mum was the word. Check a nearby field that is private found 3 nice strutters with about 15 hens.. We called in two hens around 4 in the afternoon. No gobbling after fly down all day as well as no shooting. I don't believe the hens are in the nest yet since seeing them during the afternoon. I'm hoping next week is better!

longbeards

Eastern shore was outstanding,,we each killed a longbeard,,3  for 3...2 where over 20pds!

crow

congrats on a good start,

how was the gobbling Sat. morning?

ruination

They were fired up where I was Crow
.410 Favors the Bold

crow

were you on the shore, or the mnts.?

ruination

.410 Favors the Bold

crow

western Md. yesterday morning, heard several scattered around that gobbled pretty good on the roost
and for a bit after flydown

started off 34 degrees and clear, about 1/2 hr. after sunrise it clouded up and had light snowflurries and then light sleet for a bit

crow

hunted Greenridge yesterday, nice morning-----mid 40's, clear and no wind

never heard a gobble, hunted till 12:00, called in a hen at 11:15------heard 1 far off gunshot around 10:00

ruination

That makes me sad that public birds might be going silent.
.410 Favors the Bold

Will

I hunted lower shore yesterday same deal. I set where I knew a bird was working a fire road. Used four different calls that all worked the first Monday of the season. Only one box call had one gobbling yesterday morning. As soon as he hit the ground he was quiet and heard no other birds on the roost. 10am I walk to a field and there are two separate groups with birds strutting. They are with hens and are quiet... They aren't the cheating kind yet but give it a week and they'll be looking for love... I hope!!!!!