OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Max range for lead 7.5's?

Started by BlakeJ, April 02, 2015, 06:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlakeJ

Gonna try my 28 this spring, and I'll be doing some patterning beforehand. What do you think the max range would be for lead 7.5's and a muzzle velocity of 1200 fps? How much range do you lose with those vs 6's?

Ihuntoldschool

You will run out of pattern before penetration here.   The #7.5 shot is lethal on turkeys at 40 yards if you hit the vitals, that is to far to shoot with a 28 gauge.
Try both #6 and #7.5 shot and shoot the one that patterns the best.   I think you will be good to 30 or so with the right choke, not much farther in a 28.

Really have to watch the distance with the smaller gauges.

Swampchickin234

They will do fine up to reasonable distance.  There's been a bunch of turkeys killed back in the day with 71/2s.  Of course that was before it took hevi shot and so on to kill em with (which no doubt is effective---very very effective lol).  They will do fine at ethical range, blister ones booty at 30, and will straight up eat at 20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10gaugemag

They will work at any reasonable distances you will shoot with the 28.

KYStalker

Wouldn't go past 35, less would obviously be better.  I killed 2 of 2 last year with 2 ounces of 7.5 at 30-35 yards.
If you're not first, your last!!

stinkpickle

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 02, 2015, 10:27:34 PM
You will run out of pattern before penetration here...

This. ^^^   Especially with a 28 gauge.  Your pattern density will determine your max range.

jakesdad

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 04, 2015, 02:05:58 PM
Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 02, 2015, 10:27:34 PM
You will run out of pattern before penetration here...

This. ^^^   Especially with a 28 gauge.  Your pattern density will determine your max range.

My boys 20 gauge Mossberg 510 with standard full choke puts 162 in the 10" at 25 yds using Win. 2 3/4" 1oz high brass loads. I have not tried it at 30 yards but I would guess it would starting falling apart real quick from there.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Longshanks

I guess it depends on what shell you are using.  I have the Winchester Super X 2 3/4" heavy loads 1 1/4 that shoot awesome patterns to 30-35yds.  The 7.5's that I turkey hunt with are 3/2/7.5 4 dram copper plated turkey loads.  I hunt with them the same way I do other loads.  Stay inside 40yds, try to see how close the turkey will come and let em have it.

jakesdad

Quote from: Longshanks on April 07, 2015, 07:59:06 AM
I guess it depends on what shell you are using.  I have the Winchester Super X 2 3/4" heavy loads 1 1/4 that shoot awesome patterns to 30-35yds. The 7.5's that I turkey hunt with are 3/2/7.5 4 dram copper plated turkey loads.  I hunt with them the same way I do other loads.  Stay inside 40yds, try to see how close the turkey will come and let em have it.

Sure wish you'd cut loose with some of those and send em my way!  :drool:

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Longshanks

Quote from: jakesdad on April 07, 2015, 09:08:32 AM
I guess it depends on what shell you are using.  I have the Winchester Super X 2 3/4" heavy loads 1 1/4 that shoot awesome patterns to 30-35yds. The 7.5's that I turkey hunt with are 3/2/7.5 4 dram copper plated turkey loads.  I hunt with them the same way I do other loads.  Stay inside 40yds, try to see how close the turkey will come and let em have it.

Sure wish you'd cut loose with some of those and send em my way!  :drool:

Those things are like gold, I've wanted to try them out of several chokes but didn't want to waste the shells.  Killed turkey's with them out of an browning citori and factory chokes and they were brutal on the turkey.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Longshanks on April 07, 2015, 10:49:03 PM
Quote from: jakesdad on April 07, 2015, 09:08:32 AM

Sure wish you'd cut loose with some of those and send em my way!  :droo

Those things are like gold, I've wanted to try them out of several chokes but didn't want to waste the shells.  Killed turkey's with them out of an browning citori and factory chokes and they were brutal on the turkey.
[/quote

I know them things are brutal, I loved those things back in the day
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

BandedSpur

I've killed several birds with 7.5s from the open barrel of my O/U. I limit shots to 35 yd, based on pellet penetration. You're safe max range will be the range at which pattern performance falls to 100 in a 10" circle, not to exceed 35 yds. Sixes will kill past the 40 yd limit for discussion imposed by this site.

10gaugemag

Quote from: BandedSpur on April 08, 2015, 08:26:54 AM
I've killed several birds with 7.5s from the open barrel of my O/U. I limit shots to 35 yd, based on pellet penetration. You're safe max range will be the range at which pattern performance falls to 100 in a 10" circle, not to exceed 35 yds. Sixes will kill past the 40 yd limit for discussion imposed by this site.
7 1/2's through an improved cylinder will work wonders on any turkey that is 30 yards or closer. Be nice to have a well stack barrel, improved cylinder with 7 1/2's for anything inside of 30 and 5's or 6's through some sort of good patterning tube for the longer ranges.

BandedSpur

Quote from: 10gaugemag on April 08, 2015, 07:47:14 PM
Quote from: BandedSpur on April 08, 2015, 08:26:54 AM
7 1/2's through an improved cylinder will work wonders on any turkey that is 30 yards or closer. Be nice to have a well stack barrel, improved cylinder with 7 1/2's for anything inside of 30 and 5's or 6's through some sort of good patterning tube for the longer ranges.

Not 5s or 6s, but will this do?

Longshanks

TSS is awesome. I would love to try it just don't have time for another hobby (reloading). Hopefully one day it will be on the store shelf or available for purchase. Until then I will just have to say "good pattern". How much does it run you per shot with TSS?