OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Slate sounds

Started by cjordan, April 01, 2015, 08:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjordan

What causes a slate call to have a hollow or plastic sound? I have a couple, and they have that sound, but I have a couple of glass pots that have a sharp solid sound. Is this just what you get with slate? I don't expect slate to sound like glass, but I am wondering if you can get a sharp or solid sound from slate? Sorry if this has been talked about already, and thanks for any help.

scoot12

slate normally has a more mellow sound to it or that hollow sound your talking about,  thats why slate is considered great for soft talking like clucks and purrs and soft yelps.  A really good slate you can crank it up if needed and it will sound like a glass or crystal call.  Some callmakers build slates that almost sound like a glass or crystal,  in my opinion these are great slates because they offer you a wide range of sounds.  Personally I like glass and crystal better but a great slate is hard to beat.  Scoot

Bowguy

Scoot, (I don't even know the guy) but as usual hit the nail on the head. Do you have a production pot? Most productions have that sound. Schafer makes an exceptional slate that does it all.

mudhen

Depends on how the call is/was made...

Some slate just sounds hollow...

If it's slate over glass, the glass might have come loose...

All my slate over glass Light's Out calls are sharp and clear...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

cjordan

Thanks guys. Ive had a couple of buddies who have taught me a lot about turkey hunting listen to them, and they seem to like them real well. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I would like to find a slate that has a "sharp-solid" sound to it if you have any recommendations. Lights Out will be on my list to check out. Thanks

Bowguy

Schafer slate over slate in the red hen pot. You want a sharp sound give him a call. Website is Oak Ridge custom calls. He'll play one over phone for ya.

scoot12

Platz cherry or a Dustin Jones walnut with maple laminates are 2 more.  Scoot

Bowguy

Quote from: scoot12 on April 02, 2015, 12:22:06 PM
[/quote
I've heard a lot about Platz calls, have two on order. Guess I'll see em next season. Sound files sound great.

mgm1955

Quote from: scoot12 on April 02, 2015, 12:22:06 PM
Have both of these and you wouldn't be unhappy with either. Both are fantastic calls!