Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's the most $$$ you've spent on a turkey call?

Started by lotsaleadindahead, March 24, 2011, 09:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Basser69

I paid $80 for a box call.....Would I do it again from this same call maker?  no. I will buy a custom call off this board for less and have a much better call than what I got. It was supposed to be a custom call but.... No name calling

lotsaleadindahead

Quote from: Bonjour on March 25, 2011, 12:17:36 AM
Quote from: lotsaleadindahead on March 24, 2011, 09:23:37 PM
I broke my record today, I spent $200 for 1 pot call.  
You could have bought 4 or 5 custom turkey calls that are probably just as good if not better than the cody for that kind of money. I could understand a collector paying big money for a collectible call, but not for a hunting call. That is just plain crazy. I guess, if you got it, spend it.

Ryan I don't understand your view point, I have 6-7 "custom calls".  Do you have any idea of what goes into making a pot call like this?  Serious question.  It's way more than turning a solid peice of wood into a pot.  Do you know how Bill makes the sides?  Do you know how Bill makes the bottoms?  Let alone the chamber and sound boards, I know how he does it.  It's not be argumentative, but just curious if you know the effort that goes into his calls.  I will tell you flat out none of my custom calls with the exception of one come close to his for sound quality.  Yes they aren't the prettiest calls, but they will do everything they are built to do with the best of them. What makes a collectable call?  The issue I have with collectable calls are they aren't built with the knowledge of knowing the exact measurements needed for the many different types of woods used, that changes alot in a call in itself.  I am not saying you can't make a custom call sound good, that's not the point I am making, there are many call makers with good sounding calls.  It just irritates me that people think that Cody's top calls are just a mass produced call.  They are all made by hand, everyone of them.  Bill has been doing this since the early 80's.

WNY Bowhunter

I can't remember the exact price ($120-$130), but the Supreme Pure Deaath Pinnacle was the call.  Pretty pricey, but it sounds oh so good.  I LOVE IT... :you_rock:.
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

C_W

Quote from: lotsaleadindahead on March 25, 2011, 03:47:44 PM
The issue I have with collectable calls are they aren't built with the knowledge of knowing the exact measurements needed for the many different types of woods used, that changes alot in a call in itself.  I am not saying you can't make a custom call sound good, that's not the point I am making, there are many call makers with good sounding calls.

Your Funny! :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

I'm sure only COdy in their vast wealth of knowlege uses different specs for different types of wood. That must be the secret, thanks for telling us. :icon_thumright:
Do you really believe we just go to our shops and put two pieces of slate in a pot and say here you go?

lotsaleadindahead

Yes that's exactly what I am saying, you don't have any clue of what your doing! 

lotsaleadindahead

Quote from: C_W on March 25, 2011, 05:38:48 PM
Quote from: lotsaleadindahead on March 25, 2011, 03:47:44 PM
The issue I have with collectable calls are they aren't built with the knowledge of knowing the exact measurements needed for the many different types of woods used, that changes alot in a call in itself.  I am not saying you can't make a custom call sound good, that's not the point I am making, there are many call makers with good sounding calls.

Your Funny! :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

I'm sure only COdy in his vast wealth of knowlege uses different specs for different types of wood. That must be the secret, thanks for telling us. :icon_thumright:
Do you really believe we just go to our shops and put two pieces of slate in a pot and say here you go?

Who is Cody? 

HoleInTheWall Longbeard

BowBendr

Quote from: lotsaleadindahead on March 25, 2011, 05:49:48 PM
Yes that's exactly what I am saying, you don't have any clue of what your doing!  

Wow. That wasn't a very nice thing to say. ??? ??? ???

You're asking Ryan Bonjour if he has any idea of what goes into making a killer pot call........
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

C_W

Why when you started this post didn't you just come right out and say I just paid $200 for a Cody ___?__ pot call? I don't think you care what anyone else paid. You just wanted to tell everone how much you spent. I can't find what call they make thats $200 but thats beside the point. I sure hope they do a little better job on their finishing for you so you don't have to do it yourself again.  

Quote from: lotsaleadindahead on February 27, 2011, 04:17:53 PM
As far as quality control sometimes there is something left to be desired.  Small company with big demands.  What I have done with a call like your speaking of is, take some mild 220 grit sand paper and lightly sand the finish off then apply a little wlanut stain to the pot, let dry and spray a satin finish laquer on it, let dry and them rub lightly with 0000 steel wool.  It will make it look much better.  I have done a few like that.

lotsaleadindahead

Quote from: BowBendr on March 25, 2011, 07:15:56 PM

Wow. That wasn't a very nice thing to say. ??? ??? ???

You're asking Ryan Bonjour if he has any idea of what goes into making a killer pot call........
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Read the post a little closer and then ask the question again.   It's not what I asked. :z-guntootsmiley:  I asked if he knew how much effort goes into the pots that Bill makes.

Also Bowbender the reply you made about my remark of not knowing what C_W is doing was made with total sarcasm, but you didn't pick up on that.

lotsaleadindahead

Quote from: C_W on March 25, 2011, 07:19:24 PM

Why when you started this post didn't you just come right out and say I just paid $200 for a Cody ___?__ pot call? I don't think you care what anyone else paid. You just wanted to tell everone how much you spent. I can't find what call they make thats $200 but thats beside the point. I sure hope they do a little better job on their finishing for you so you don't have to do it yourself again.  

Quote from: lotsaleadindahead on February 27, 2011, 04:17:53 PM
As far as quality control sometimes there is something left to be desired.  Small company with big demands.  What I have done with a call like your speaking of is, take some mild 220 grit sand paper and lightly sand the finish off then apply a little wlanut stain to the pot, let dry and spray a satin finish laquer on it, let dry and them rub lightly with 0000 steel wool.  It will make it look much better.  I have done a few like that.

Because my initial inquirey of what others have paid had nothing to do with me spending money and bragging about it, that's not my nature.  I am curious to see if many or few others can justify spending alot of money on turkey calls.  If you dig a little deeper on the net maybe you'll find it, it appears you dug some on me.  There are one or two posts on this call and that's about all I've ever found on it.  It's not advertised.   

C_W

I wasn't digging on you, but rather trying to figure out what Cody was $200.

I didn't pick up on the sarcasm either.......

lotsaleadindahead

Quote from: C_W on March 25, 2011, 07:58:26 PM
I wasn't digging on you, but rather trying to figure out what Cody was $200.

I didn't pick up on the sarcasm either.......

Totally sarcastic.