turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

HELP ...first attempt at making a pot call

Started by aaron.haverfield@gmail.co, March 31, 2015, 01:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaron.haverfield@gmail.co

Thinking about trying my hand at making my first pot call. Was wondering if you guys could give me any tips on what kind wood I should get for sound quality. Cost doesn't really matter, as much as availability of the wood. There is a wood shop in St. Louis that has some rare types. Also, if I can talk my buddy in to loaning me his lathe I would like to make a custom striker to go along with it. Most likely will be slate since my buddy has a couple slates laying around.

beardreaper

If your turning your first call i'd stick to something like hedge, walnut or maple as they are easiest to turn. Hedge would be my #1 choice. I like to use hedge, honey locust or pecan as a solid striker. Purple heart or bubinga is nice but I would make a 2pc with a dowel until I became really comfortable turning

mastevt

Cedar and Cherry are another good choice.  Things to keep in mind, your air gap between the soundboard and the playing surface will be the most critical part of your call.  Too close, and it will sound screechy, too much, and it will deaden the sound in the call.  Your pedestal will be your 2nd most important.  There are several designs, from ring to solid..  Keep it under 1 1/4, and you'll be fine.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.  Scott.

Thanks for your input guys,

Right now I am torn between trying to spin on my buddy's lathe or see what I can do with a friends wood CNC to make signs. The lathe would make the call smooth, but the CNC would let me come up with some crazy designs. May go both. Does the sound board have to be of the same material as the playing surface? What if I were to just leave out the sound board?

mastevt

Alot of us use glass, but there are other materials.  Slate, acrylic, even hardwood once its milled down to 1/8 or so.
If you leave out the SB, your call will not have any volume to it.

beardreaper

Personally I like either glass or slate as a soundboard. I use mostly glass. You can use wood and it doesn't have to be same as pot, just make sure it's about 1/8 thick or a little shy, any thicker and it won't resonate for a good sound. The most crucial part is the distance between playing surface and sound board and the pedestal diameter and height

Makes sense. Thanks guy, I learn something new ever day. But that brings up another question, we're do you guess order you glass and slate or do you make them?

mastevt

beardreaper